Which CPU is better (pros and cons)

One CPU has eight cores but is slower then the CPU with four cores.  Can anyone tell me if haveing more cores on a slower processor is better?  Thanks.

AMD fx8350 eight cores 4.0ghz $179.99

AMD fx4170 four cores 4.2ghz $128.72

Also can anyone reomend liquid cooling if I am going to overclook?

Well, the FX 4170 is an older CPU, and it was badly designed. Any newer AMD CPU will beat it by a country mile, and the older phenom 2 x4 will also beat it. What is your total budget? I can create an entire build for you.

My budget is $1000-$1200

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/armypig/saved/1nai

This will run any game out there other than crysis on ultra settings

gaming

8GB of RAM on a $1000 build? That's way too little; use this build instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LI5G

Meh. having 16gb is nice, but it will provide no performance increase in games.

Those feels when people think ghz == speed when comparing between different architectures.

You should change your HDD to Western Digital Caviar Black, those are great quality HDD's.

1866mhz CL9 is a great choice for Piledriver... Anyway the motherboard is an overkill if you don't plan to overclock, Gygabites UD3 is just fine and good quality... Get 7950 and overclock it and I think you will have enough money to buy an SSD...

Let me try my hand at one:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LPEa

A tad expensive, but it has everything and a case with a window. although I would probably ditch the case with a window and get one without a window and just leave the side panel off, or add a window yourself... Then I would spend that money on a beefier PSU if you plan on Crossfiring in the future. I would probably also ditch the air cooler and go liquid either with the Seidon 120 or the Corsair H55. Either should be better than the air cooler, but peer pressure and whatnot. Memory is a good deal if you want 16 GB, you could save money and go down to 8 GB of 1866 MHz for half the cost.

Mndless... Western Digital Caviar Black is one of best affordable reliable quality HDD's. Seagate just dissapoints people :P

You guys aren't leaving much room for watercooling, I think with his budget he should check out this guys videos: www.youtube.com/user/singularitycomputers

He has quite a few guides on watercooling, and most of his build videos show watercooling, the set that you are buying should be established with the build you are getting because it can be quite costly.

..Oh and also, seagate are great performance for low costs. I don't see anybody who would be dissapointed by that 

No game in the world needs more than 4 GB of RAM, since there is no game that's capable of addressing more than 3.6 GB of RAM (since all games are 32-bit applications, therefore, per game application, even  in a 64-bit OS, the game application itself can only allocate maximum 3.6 GB of RAM).

8 GB of RAM is useful if you have two monitors and want to watch videos or browse the web while playing a game for instance, or if you want to capture and record game footage, or if you do extensive stills and vector graphics editing. It's also useful if you want to run a virtual machine in the background, for instance if you use the machine as a workgroup server. And it's also useful if you want to use the AMD RAMDisk application.

16-32 GB is useful for video post-production.

Watercooling is fashionable now, but it's not very practical in most cases, and it's not as reliable in the long run as good air cooling. If you want to watercool, go custom and invest 400+ USD in it, but don't invest in a prefilled water cooling toy, because that's what it is, a toy. A Noctua NH-D14 will outperform any Corsair watercooling model, and only costs 75 USD, plus you get 7 years of full warranty and free mounting hardware upgrades if new sockets come out.

Crysis 3 will run at max settings on any CPU faster than an FX4150 or i5-750, which means the Phenom II X4 955/965 - which are discontinued next month - are well within the spec for max settings on Crysis 3, and so is any desktop class intel quad core sandy/ivy bridge processor. Everything depends on the graphics card. Spend at least 200 EUR on a graphics card and you'll have a fast gaming rig.

You CANNOT create a build with water cooling that would be worth the time and money spent for under $1700... And about $600 of that would be spent into the liquid cooling loop, and it wouldn't even be that impressive of a loop in terms of the pump and reserviour and everything else, you surely would not be able to put in Bitspower Crystal Link, you would have to use short runs of tubing and something Mayhems so that it doesn't actually use a liquid dye and helps the tubing hold up better. EK waterblocks, however, do happen to be one of the best price per performance per aesthetics brands out there. I really love the way that the frosted acrylic CSQ design looks with the nickel block. For most people, water cooling is ENTIRELY unecessary, at most I would recommend an AIO unit and leave the GPU's as they were, because most people don't need to overclock them that high, even if they are actually able to be overclocked that high (Check out the voltage control between ROG GPU and motherboard, you can acheive in-BIOS voltage and overclock controls.)

I've never had bad luck with either of them, so given the generally positive reviews I've seen of just about every drive out there on the market, I would kindly ask you not to skew the views of those who haven't had the chance to form their own. You can recommend a different drive as a different option, and even say that you have had better experiences with one drive over another, but please refrain from blatant slander, it is unbecoming.

I know those feels, it's like trying to compare individual core efficiency and operations per second of the Ivy Bridge CPUs with anything else. It's a tad unfair, but it doesn't at all mean that they are always the best option. And when you are talking the AMD camp, it also doesn't mean that the Phenom II are bad chips because they are two generations old, because in all honesty, I will probably not buy an FX series chip because I don't think the newer architecture warrants that much praise except maybe in power efficiency for any given stock clock speed.

I know, the old K10 architecture is still pretty beastly, especially considering the price of a Phenom II X6 1045T. Those things overclock well for only having the bus rate to modify, and they can often go to 3.5 GHz without touching the core voltage. The other lucky break with those is that you have an independant and unlocked memory to system bus multiplier, so you can adjust that to maintain stable memory speeds. All that joy for $100.

Micro center has a deal with the 8320 for $140, the 8350 for $160, the fx 6300 for $120, and then you save $50 from the motherboards. :D

But $1200 build. Hmm. fx 6300 + a good mobo for overclocking + the 7950 would pretty nice. Then 8gb of cl9 1866 or 1600 or whatever ram. Pretty good build. But I really don't understand. Wouldn't a h100 or the nzxt competitor be worth it? Aren't they much cooler than just using air cooling?? I mean yeah you can get the fancy ass huge custom water setup, but are the prefilled ones really that bad? I guess I'll have to look up some threads debating this, but I always thought the liquid cooling was going to be best.

Just because the cpu is 'faster than the fx 4150 therefore it can run on max settings' doesnt mean the cpu wont bottleneck it, ie a faster one won't be better. I'm pretty sure crysis 3 can use up to 6 cores. So a 6300 would probably benefit you ($120). And all that rambling on about ram...

Just spend the $40-50 and get 8gb. If you need more, pop in 8 more gigs. Most games use only ~4 but for web browsing and other programs and windows 7 itself 8gb is pretty much standard. I lold at "16-32gb is usefull for video post production". Who says that? Post production, yes you can say lets do that in post, but to say its usefull in video post production sounds funny lol. Just say video editing.

AMD FX-8320 is almost the exact same thing as the 8350 but with a 500MHz slower clock speed... I would personally recommend saving the extra couple of dollars and spending it on a nice CPU cooler so you can overclock. I have my 8320 overclocked to 4.2GHz (on air cooling).

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/navyboy887/saved/1o6P

90% or so of watercooling prefilled loops are out performed by twin tower air coolers that have good static pressure.  noctura nh d14 out performs the h60 h80 and the h100 in most cases. for most pre filled loops to out perform the high end air coolers you have to have push pull and use fans that have higher static pressure and higher cfm than the stock fans.

i have a NH-D14 i currently have a delta as the front fan and the stock fan in the middle. with that setup i am able to get core temps to be at ambient 19c. phenom II x6 1100t oc to 4.1 currently. i personally have not seen any pre filled unit match that kind of performance.