Which AMD Ryzen 9?

Out of these two cpus:

Which one do you guys recommend?

1 Like

5900X

Has a higher IPC and thus even though they have the same number of cores/threads, the 5900X will be faster.

Assuming your motherboard supports it of course.

3 Likes

Neitherā€¦ Wait for MSRP

4 Likes

This alsoā€¦but againā€¦ what do you have now?

1 Like

@HaaStyleCat. Iā€™m running a 6 core Intel Core i7-5820k 3.30GHz. Socket 2011 LGA.

I do realize I will have to update my motherboard as well and whatever else.

1 Like

Ok, I can see that. I was asking the same question earlier but decided the 5.0ghz all core 1.27mv 6 core 12 thread i7 8086k is enough to keep me going. I have a 3600xt, 3700xā€¦ so may swap them in the main pc soonā€¦ its starting to show its age at 4kā€¦

1 Like

MSRP isnā€™t happening anymoreā€¦ a lot of the current prices are actually inflation that isnā€™t going anywhere. Itā€™s not just ā€œscalpersā€ and miners eating supply. Itā€™s devaluation of the currency, causing you need to spend more currency to buy the same stuff. Youā€™re seeing inflation across the board on everything, itā€™s just marginally more severe with silicon products. Seriously, get used to 15% above the original MSRP as your new base price.

Anyway, original posterā€¦ 5900X if you can find a motherboard that already has bios that support it, if it doesnā€™t then you need a 3000 series chip on top of the 5900X so you can boot into the bios and update themā€¦ that or something that has bios flashback without the need for a CPU.

2 Likes

The 5800x has been 20 dollars under MSRP the last few days,. So Iā€™d go with that before I paid that much over MSRP

2 Likes

MSRP happens but its not convenient. I managed to snag a 5900x and RX 6900XT both at MSRP.

You have to play the sniping game but it is possible.

3 Likes

I was about to go all in on a 5900x build. Until I realized Iā€™d be paying around 20% above the MSRP for all parts. Iā€™ve wanted to upgrade from my haswell i7 for a year now but I have to remind myself what price the build should be and how much more I could get / save up for if I wait until the shortage eases up in November / December (hopefully).

2 Likes

Between the two options listed, Iā€™d definitely recommend the 5900. Not only will you have better performance, but itā€™ll also take longer to become obsolete. I would reiterate what everyone else has said above: donā€™t buy above MSRP unless itā€™s a necessity. Obviously you know your situation best. If your current system can no longer do what you need it to do, and itā€™s imperative that you get something that can handle it, then yeah go for it. But if itā€™s a ā€˜convenienceā€™ upgrade, Iā€™d wait till you find the 5900 at MSRP.

1 Like

My fair recommendation:

Stick with what you have right now.
And wait for the next generation of Ryzen cpuā€™s and moboā€™s that come out.
Because am4 at this point in time is pretty much EOL.
Unless you really need to upgrade right now, then the 5900X of course.
But if you are still happy with the performance of your current system,
then i would personally just stick with it and wait.

It might take another year before the new Ryzen platform will be launched eventually.
However that does give you some time for extra savings.
Unless money isnā€™t an issue of course.

1 Like

If you have a choice always go with newer generation.

1 Like

I will take your advice and keep what I have; wait for AMDā€™s new generation to be released. TBO I was going to upgrade out of sheer boredom. The only thing that is broken in my system is my AIO water cooler. The radiator fans fell out of their fan enclosure(donā€™t ask). I will probably buy a new AIO water cooler, save some money and wait.

1 Like

my patience paid off

5900x should be here in a few days

2 Likes

Iā€™m just amazed I was able to find a 3900xt for 300ā€¦ it had bent pins I didnā€™t know about but hey. I canā€™t complain. Iā€™ll probably upgrade from the 2700 I have in my asrock rack x470d4u server after I play with it some more in my b550 system.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.