Which AMD processor is best for game development?

The ASRock Wendell did a review on YouTube

Let me check my topic on those boards.
I can already tell you that i´m not the biggest fan of the Asrock X399 phantom gaming.
Because it only has a 6 phase vrm for vcore.
Although it should technically be totaly fine for a 2920X.
But if the Asrock X399 Taichi isn´t that much more expensive where you life.
I could highly recommend to go with that.
Because it´s a better board.
Also the Asrock X399 phantom 6 isn’t the most ideal when it comes to its pci-lane utilization,
like wendell already mentioned in his review.

But of course the Asrock X399 phantom gaming 6,
will work totally fine with a 2920X.

I do like the tai chi but I would have to replace the crappy wifi. its possible but stretching my dollars. I would do wired but it’s pretty long distance and apartment living is not conducive to running cable.:sunglasses:

Well of course the Phantom Gaming 6 will run fine with a 2920X.
As long as you don´t put a 2970X or 2990WX in it then you´re good. :wink:

OP said game DEVELOPMENT not gaming. Threadripper is still hardly “bad” compared to Ryzen anyway in gaming. As a secondary/additional use case. Ryzen for development on the other hand…

Game development dictates different priorities. AM4 will be a limiting factor in a big way in terms of RAM ,PCIe and future CPU support down the line.

Threadripper all the way. You have more memory support, you have better and more IO support, you can install multiple GPUs at x16 and potentially split them off to VMs with passthrough to test compatibility/GPU performance, etc. Your compiles will be faster with more cores.

If you need to game you can disable a die to test what it will be like on Ryzen.

Also. New threadrippers are coming. If you guys think Ryzen 3000 is nuts, just wait until AMD give intel the big fuck you with a 48-64 core threadripper later this year.

You’re going to see benchmarks with AMD literally double intel performance in various tasks.

edit:
Also, at this point, threadripper 1 or 2 has known compatibility and you’re less likely to run into any “surprises” with software bugs, platform bugs, etc. (e.g., right now, Ryzen 3000 won’t even boot on Fedora). If you’re using hardware to do a job, this can be almost as important as raw performance. Any performance win you think you might have very quickly evaporates (as far as productivity is concerned) if you end up spending half a day or more tracking down why some wierd behaviour or crash is happening.

1 Like

How do you optimize and make sure your game works fine when your CPU may shoot itself in the feet for lols…

If threadripper 3000 comes out - yes, I may agree with you. But reviews of 3900X Ryzen shows that it runs circles around the 12 core 2920X

You tell the compiler to optimise and test on real end-user hardware if it is that critical. However the actual development requires resources that running the game does not. Also, if it runs OK on threadripper, it will likely run better on gaming focused ryzen 7.

You think Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo do their console game development on consoles? Lol…

Threadripper hasn’t been cancelled, and EPYC 2 is coming out. You’re comparing 1 day old hardware to 9 month old previous gen hardware here.

Threadripper 3 will come out. Just because 16 core is mainstream desktop now with Ryzen 3000, doesn’t mean HEDT is dead.

HEDT Threadripper follows Ryzen by a few months every time so far, this time is not going to be any different, and i’m not sure why lack of news regarding third gen Threadripper is a surprise to some. There was never advance announcement of Threadripper 1 or 2 either.

And whilst 3900x may be faster than a 2920x, it does not include the PCIe lanes or memory capacities that game development can make use of. CPU throughput isn’t the only thing required in a workstation…

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying you CAN’T do game dev on a 3900. But the HEDT platform is far more suitable for it and has a far more flexible upgrade path.

1 Like

What confuses me is that the 9 month old one is slower…

Where did i mention speed AT ALL?

I mentioned PCIe lanes, memory capacities and upgrade path / flexibility. As i said above, there is far more to a workstation than just CPU throughput.

Ok, I think I made my point clear.

@Bushi1147, while I appreciate the allure of threadripper, with your budget, you’re going to get much better bang for your buck with a 3700x than a 2920x.

You’ll have the following:

1. Cheaper cpu (save 50 us)
  2. Cheaper motherboard (save 150 us)
  3. Less power consumption
  4. Faster cpu overall

I highly recommend that you choose the 3700x. Development is intensive, yes, but you will work fine with 8 cores. What you really need there is ram, and shifting your budget towards better ram would make more sense to me.

Obviously, you’re going to do whatever you want, but I’d feel remiss if I didn’t at least advise you against the threadripper for your given use case.

3 Likes