Where to find used AMD EPYC processors?

I’m looking to build a home server (desktop case) to run KVMs and want to find a good used EPYC ROME cpu with 24+ cores. It’s for personal learning so I don’t need top of the line expensive gear.
Are there good sources for used CPUs and Motherboards? Anything to look out for?

Considering IBM/Lenovo’s affliction for enabling the AMD PSB function on AMD cpu’s, there is no reason that the server line has not been hit as well, especially since there are articles in 2020 about it being a thing.

PSB basically flips a non-reversible physical switch that is enabled via the BIOS. Once flipped, that CPU is locked to that vender ID and motherboard. It will not work in another system.

Basically, buyer beware in used EPYC processors. It might be completely unusable.

ETA: Linus did a video on it last week(maybe?) and ServetheHome has done a video on it as well if you want research info.

2 Likes

Thanks, good info.

Well, you might have to ensure you buy the same brand of board, as the chip was locked to.
A guarantee from the buyer might ensure you match?
It is a dick move (imho), but not the end of the world.
I presume sellers of such CPU’s, may have the board they were pulled from, and might even offer a slight deal for both?

From what I understand, it would have to be the exact same model board, not just brand.

Also, there is the higher percentage likeliness that those selling the parts have no clue they are locked. Hell, I’ve been in IT for over 30yrs and this was the first I’ve heard of this kind of thing. I didn’t even know the ability existed.

according to Serve The Home, Dell & HP are also candidates for the PSB issue.

1 Like

Sometimes there are very good deals on ebay. Sellers are doing a decent job of stating whether it’s unlocked or locked to a system (like dell). Even if you get one that ends up being locked, you can return it within 30 days, despite what the seller might say.

1 Like

One day I will be doing the same.

I have noted the vendor lock and have done just a little looking in to boards and epyc chips. Ebay has been the most help but buyer beware and do the research.

The deal to be found might be as mentioned the chip and board combo.

I am interested in how this goes for you. Please do update. :wink:

True, but in this case, I think I would rather just buy the whole chassis and have to wonder whether it will work or not. Will pay extra in shipping due to weight, but at least I know it’s paired correctly.

Thanks to everyone who’s responded. I don’t have the space for a rack or want the noise generated by a 1 or 2U chassis. I nice midsized tower would be great. So if I can get an ATX motherboard and CPU and build a reasonable tower, great. I started this thread because I live in the D.C. area and thought it would be easy to find used hardware in this area. But, every place I go to that deals in second hand computers says that server hardware gets shipped out to the mythical land server hardware only to find its way on Ebay. I was hoping to find a reputable brick and mortar / mom and pop shop to find stuff at. Am I being naive? Like high end video cards, is used EPYC server hardware equivalent to a bag of magic beans?
Thanks again.

If Richmond isn’t too far away:

whoops, maybe not. Mostly parts and networking stuff.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.