Where the funk is Vega? (Why they re-release Polaris, that's already outdated)

pascal was a die shrink

Polaris and vega are both 14nm

2 Likes

the 380X was Tonga, a new GPU, not a rebrand.
Also the 390X and 390 were legitimate reworks of the architecture, and are about 10% (ish) faster than similarly clocked and specced 290/X cards.

Yup. They literally perform identically at the same clocks/flops

A heavily OCed Titan XM comes close to a 1080.

The obvious reason to do a refresh is force out new reviews and get updated benchmarks

IDK how it works out but I"m sure it's more effective than an ad buy alone* could ever be

Pascal was a restructure at 16nm.

They disconnected the raster engine to function as a separate pipeline in the GPCs, then added crossbar structuring after the scheduler to allow any unit within any structure to be scheduled at any time regardless of location. Maxwell relied on each TPC to fulfill a scheduled task with only the local units within. Maxwell also had the raster engine crossbar within the TPCs which led to the ROP cut on cards like the GTX 970.

1 Like

They also brought back double precision with the GP100 core. Something that was completely absent across any maxwell core in any meaningful way. Doesn't matter for consumer cards but ofc its pascal architecture and nice to see that there is now a new quadro and tesla tier card that actually made large strides over the outgoing Kepler and Maxwell series.

It's smart marketing in my opinion. They could have released Ryzen 3, 5 & 7, as well as the Polaris refresh & Vega all at once, but by spacing them out, they are keeping everyone talking about AMD.

4 Likes

I fully expect Vega to be at least 10% better than GTX 1080, and for the price it isn't at all a "disappointment" as most gamers can't spend what Team Green charges.

@DrewSaga
This isn't a rebrand, it's a refresh; one many have been waiting for since we saw what the Commercial segment Embedded Solutions can do when overclocked with their very low power requirements.

We literally have no clue how much it will cost. If you're expecting it to be cheap then you're gonna be disappointed. The chip is huge and HBM2 is very expensive. Neither is conducive to cheap GPUs.

Refresh/reband whatever. It is the same silicon. Spin it however you want. It is just clocked higher. It also uses more power.

1 Like

Personally I see higher clocked / quality 480's as a good thing but I think the flaw in amd's focus on the "mid range market share grab" is that nvidia people will just choose the 1060... regardless of if the 480 is slightly cheaper or slightly better.

Sadly, they need to be a fair bit more cheaper to have any chance of persuading nvidia people to choose a 470/480 over a 1060.

I'm certain it will be cheaper that the $700 they charged for GTX 1080 Flounders Edition. The fact that the 1080 and 1080Ti has dropped price is due to Vega coming on the scene, and you can be certain of that.

No doubt

But unless the price of vega is significantly lower than the target nvidia product then nvidia people (who have the majority market share) will stick with nvidia, thereby maintaining their majority market share..

It's not rocket science, people stick to what they know unless significantly 'tempted' to choose different.

In an ideal world AMD would need to pull a similar stunt to "Ryzen vs Broadwell-E" on their gpus (e.g significantly more powerful for half the price) but I don't think they can afford it as they would litterally be selling them at cost, which is not something AMD can afford.

EDIT: what I mean is I am having a hard time seeing AMD win this fight, all nvidia has to do is price drop and nvidia people will stay nvidia, with which nvidia will retain their market audience, nvidia is sitting on a tonne of money at the moment, they could EASILY price drop to below cost and absorb the losses for a single generation, at which point AMD is back on the ropes financially and nvidia have sadly won... and then price hike again.

If their story around this product is just a 'bit cheaper, bit better' than the equivalent nvidia product they are aiming this against then I think they have already lost.

AMD needs more than that.

Even if it were shown that Vega is better, many will buy Nvidia nevertheless.
It's unbelievable how many are still buying 970s.

1 Like

I bought a 6gb 1060 to fill the gap. Cuda keeps dragging me to NVidia no matter how hard I try to change teams.

Two of them 1060s would be better than one 1080, so Team Green blocked the SLI connection, but AMD even did away with the need for a Bridge. You should have picked up the RX 480.
It's people like you are the reason we can't have nice things. LOOL

No it wouldn't have been....

This post is completely worthless and rude.

Please Stop.

I love what AMD has done with freesync and no need for the bridge but the libraries for machine learning and data analysis are pretty much all supported on cuda and only somewhat ported/efficient on amd. It really is a shame because in theory the AMD architecture is better designed for gpgpu.

I like how AMD serviced the need for a better display frames syncing and didn't charge manufacturers for a licensing fee, making displays cheaper for their customers.

Vega has some cool feature that efficiently utilizes all the memory including NVME, SSD, HDD, and even DRAM.
Does anyone know the name of this tech?

I found were they were hiding!

I have a Fury X atm which will fit in my new ITX build, so no rush for me. I can now patiently wait until prices settle, and maybe even a 16GB version to appear? however I suspect these HBM2 cards will be stupid expensive until at least Nvidias next launch when AMD will have no choice but to sell at cheap prices in order to gain market share again!

1 Like