Where is Thunderbolt on Threadripper?! Here it is, but... | Level One Techs

The point was to figure it out yourself from vague instructions. Those people will be the true champions.

Just a truly interested user…

This is a feature that would be immensely useful for some specific applications. I am a musician and work with an audio interface to power my microphones when doing recording. Thunderbolt is a far superior method of connecting an audio input when doing real-time recording because the latency and bandwidth are massively improved over USB.

I currently use a thunderbolt audio interface with an old Mac laptop, but have been waiting patiently for this to work on a PC motherboard that isn’t Intel (I used to work for that company, and refuse to buy any of their products after seeing what they are like internally, not to mention their market practices). It annoys me to have to switch to this old laptop whenever I want to work on recording, my personal computer is laughably more capable than this laptop and would be so much nicer to use.

@wendell Do you think this thunderbolt capability after patching in support on the gigabyte boards is reliable enough to use for recording music? I am certain I can figure out how to do this, I worked for the BIOS team at Intel, so I am familiar with BIOS editing.

As a followup question, do you think the fact that we can get it working in this ‘hacky’ way eludes to official support coming from the AMD side soon? Or are Intel and/or Apple still making it way too difficult for AMD to implement?

Wendell did say it was “copy a few binaries”

For audio production, you’ll have to worry about the latency of the infinity fabric between dies and the 2990WX has already shown that is a huge factor.

I’d use a 2950X, 3200Mhz CL14 and use UMA for better latencies for music production.

If you’re using Windows 8.1 or 10, they removed Firewire drivers in those versions of Windows. So there is good reason to use Thunderbolt, cause USB “packets” isn’t a consistent stream of data.

Based on my experience with the largely unsupported ASUS/Intel Implementation, I’d say it probably has as much or more to do with the board manufacturers as it does Intel or AMD. I suspect that those of us who are truly interested in having TB3 for professional use are a fringe element and don’t represent enough incentive for these companies to make it work seamlessly. The majority of Professional Audio users and a large number of Professional Video users are practically forced to use Macs in order to comfortably use TB3 for their respective uses, and a huge number of us would gladly ditch our Mac machines if there was a viable PC alternative. I’ve manage to get my poorly supported ASUS/Intel TB3 implementation going great for external storage, and would give it a real concerted effort on the Gigabyte/AMD near-implementation if I had just a little more information.

Don’t forget Mac may be moving to Apple made ARM chips soon. Then what would happen to Thunderbolt?

Here are the huge dangers audio/video production face:

EVERYONE practically uses Apple ProRes, and TV stations won’t take it from the reverse engineered version in FFmpeg. You have to use a Mac to properly encode ProRes. It will remain closed source forever.

exFAT is Microsoft Proprietary. SSD recorders and SDXC cards use exFAT to record, so no Linux distro can dump from those SSDs from vanilla installations, and I don’t trust the fuse implementation.

HFS+ works in Linux, except for write access. So when you switch to PC, you have to buy a utility to do read/write of HFS+ on Windows (cause the best solutions are closed source commercial ones.)

Editing workstations are security risks if they still run Final Cut Pro 7. They’re purposely not updated so that Final Cut Pro 7 (a 32BIT application) still works.

Also, Adobe CC is no free cake neither. The next version of Creative Cloud is soon going to EOL support for all operating systems except macOS 10.12 and up and Windows 10 1803. Using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1? Too bad. If you use the legit Adobe CC, you’ve just been screwed out of the next iteration of Adobe CC:

While I don’t disagree with too much of what FurryJackman has to say, I will point out (to those who aren’t aware) there is a handy little Windows-based program called Footage Studio 4K by Acrovid that is a properly licensed piece of software that does read virtually any file format and then write proper “TV-engineer-acceptable” ProRes Files . As well, Black Magic Design’s Resolve and Fusion (Edit/Color & Compositing software) both read and write ProRes files natively on the Windows platform. So you don’t NEED a Mac to work with and encode ProRes any longer. Or use Thunderbolt 3. I’d just like a Threadripper machine to drive Thunderbolt 3.

Yes, but the point is native support for ProRes encoding in Windows Premiere is never going to happen because APPLE. Davinci Resolve just uses FFmpeg to read and render ProRes on Windows and Linux. Fully unacceptable for Broadcast QC.

Reading ProRes is now widely adopted, but exporting ProRes natively at broadcast QC quality without a third party commercial closed source proprietary Apple sanctioned plugin (NOT through FFmpeg) is IMPOSSIBLE

Yes, it’s workable, but you have to buy so many other software licenses on third party plugins which could have it’s own “phone home” DRM and it requires someone to simply know which company to rely on so that just in case a plugin company goes bankrupt, they don’t have an activation server scheme which would render it useless.

On Mac or Hackintosh, it JUST WORKS.

Once again, not arguing your points about Apple and 3rd parties, etc. But for the record, I’ve had MANY MANY clips rendered out of Resolve and Fusion on Windows being completely accepted as Broadcast compatible without any issues whatsoever. It just works (for me). But this is a side track for me. I want Thunderbolt 3 on AMD. Wendell claims to have done it, but can’t/won’t share it. Oh well…

And I have to say once again that Apple hasn’t licensed the Windows Encoder for ProRes for Resolve. It’s a spin of FFmpeg.

Maybe it’s a city to city thing, In Vancouver, the post production community knows FFmpeg is the devil (especially the people from Cinedeck and Adobe) while in other cities, they’re realizing how controlling the Apple ecosystem is so they need to allow exceptions.

Here’s something interesting @wendell… The Thinkpad A485 apparently has a “Thunderbolt USB-C Docking adapter”

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-a-series/ThinkPad-A485/p/22TP2TAA485

Whether that’s only wired for USB-C or if there’s a Thunderbolt controller on it, nobody knows. Cause it’s not released yet.

I’m leaning towards a site specification error.

Where would I put this code for the thunderbolt card to work? Also is there a specific PCIe slot that has to be used on the designare?