Where is Thunderbolt on Threadripper?! Here it is, but... | Level One Techs

He doesn’t actually want chipset lanes (at least I think…)

1 Like

I believe that my Asus and a lot of other B350 motherboards have at least Thunderbolt 1 maybe more? I think that it is worth playing around with. If you look at this Intel board, you will see a pin layout that looks very close to the TPM header in the picture of my Asus B350f Gaming, but just with the TB header combined with the TPM header. Link to Intel board: https://images.anandtech.com/doci/6970/ASUS%20Z87-C%20Top.jpg

No. TB_header is a 10 position 2 row header, that unknown header on your motherboard is 6 position 2 row.

I thought the TPM was a 2 position 2 row header.

How about Usain Bolt?

Or Boom Pipe?

2 Likes

Is that Dell what you ended up with after you returned the Lenovo (sorry, slightly off-topic, but didn’t want to revive that thread since it’s almost at 3 months)?

Yep. Review soon, waiting for linux support to not be garbage.

1 Like

Yeah, no. Usually TPM is a 20p2r. Looks like that 14p2r header (“14-1 TPM”) is an Asus thing.

1x5 or 1x6 is the tb header, typically.

It’s just a system management bus interface. That’s it

1 Like

I have the X370 Gaming K4. Difference between the B350 and the X370 are not that big, so I went searching for the header.
Is the position marked red the one in question?

We should call it lightning strike

1 Like

Thunder Rip 3. I have X99 and im pretty shure it goes through the pcie lanes to the cpu and not the bus.

Nice one, Wendell. All those juicy PCIe lanes, just waiting to be used. And for the name? piXie

1 Like

@wendell

6 Likes

Wow… this is making the rounds fast.

2 Likes

Thats because its something people actually want

3 Likes

I’m surprised it’s not on Hackaday yet. Maybe tweet at them?

I haven’t interacted with Twitter in like 5 years ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ except for work via Lithium

@wendell I was inspired by your hack and signed-up on the forums to share my use case for TB3 on Threadripper. The LG Ultrafine 5k hiDPI display is Thunderbolt only. I’m building a new TR4 system and the Gigabyte Designare is my board of choice specifically for the Thunderbolt header (also thanks to your review).

27" 5k display:

here’s a fellow combining a TB3 Asus expansion card with this 5k display, albeit on X299 Intel chipset:

most of the activity for TB3 and this 5k display is coming from the hackintosh community:

3 Likes

Interesting, this may be one of the things waiting for certification, too. I am not sure if the DP inputs on the TB card would do what is needed to carry the signal. Wouldbe a good experiment. Wonder if I can get LG to send me one for testing… :smiley:

5 Likes