When You Really Need to Test Things . .

The 2700 is still a viable processor in my book.
Doing well for testing accessibility and very useful for getting screenshots for tutorials.

Qemu with Virt manager is incredible

1 Like

how so?

Are we talking about the i7 2700 or the r7 2700?

The Ryzen is far from being obsolete even if we love to listen to benchmarks and believe our hardware is old.

ryzen of course

I’d expect no less from a 2 year old CPU with 8 cores and 16 threads

1 Like

I’m confused on what the motivation for this post was. Did anyone dispute that this CPU would still be good?

People are still running Sandy Bridge daily so why would a 2 year old CPU be struggling?

I’m confused on what the motivation for this post was.

Well I was just wondering if someone mentioned to you that it wasn’t viable because that would be a weird person.

But I guess you can also just be a d*** about it :expressionless:

1 Like

More like ‘it’s pretty cool that a 2 year old system that now costs less than a grand can be a viable programming and testing rig’

the 2700 is like 200 bux now

a sandy bridge is still viable tho

not sure how much it costs

for an 8 core, it’s around 400 bux, motherboards aint’ cheap either

IMO a five-year upgrade cycle is plenty usable for most people that still want decent performance.

If it’s just basic home stuff (browsing internet, Netflix, basic office docs, etc.) then even a ten year upgrade cycle will most likely be fine.

If it’s a power user probably every three-ish years?

Honestly for only home use stuff the Upgrade-Cycle is basically until it dies. Even an RPi is plenty for that usecase unless your home use includes massive Excel spreadsheets. There’s a reason a lot of basic browsing, video platform etc happen on Laptops or Tablets at this point.

10 year is mostly for OS support, but even that’s a bit long since Windows support seems to be 7-10 years depending on version.