Why are we using 2.5G and not 10G?

On the topic of cabling, I think one interesting recent development is that, provided you have the ethernet cables already, they are perfect for power delivery of DC power (pretty much all electronic devices run on DC). So it may not be worth it to pull the plug of Ethernet jacks just yet…

2 Likes

Uhhhh where all the ones ive seen are over 100. also its still expensive since most of that 100 is just a chip so there at minimum adding like 30-50 dollars in bom vs a essentially free 1Gb port. 1gbe made sense and was a needed feature and would be widely used where 10G as much as id like most people wont make use of since their internet is less then 50/50mbps and they don’t have 10G storage servers lying around and most of them there cpus and storage won’t even be able to handle it

I can only Say i see a lot of excuses to hold back technology because of ppl $$$ interest at one level or different level.

There are some interesting replays to but most ppl here are excusing theology staling.

How about… You buy 10g and be happy?

With that reply it really look like you created the topic knowing the answer and wanted to have a clap back.

2 Likes

True. In my case the ISP started offering 25Gb connection, so I’ve upgraded to 25Gb fiber network at home.

A stupid question: Has anyone hacked some SAS cards to use it as point to point connection between servers? Don’t they offer like 6/12Gb/s per lane? Ok, it’s probably stupid, as SAS cards are not that much cheaper than network cards, do also get hot, and the network cards usually offer additional benefits like offloading some tasks.

3 Likes

$89.99 AQC107
$89.99 EDUP 10Gb
$92.99 ASUS XG-C100C 10G

That’s just the typical chicken & egg problem. As adoption starts, people will find uses.

You’ve made the point most people don’t need gigabit let alone 10GbE. Yet the demand was there. I’d say the only thing we really need is one reasonably priced WiFi router to come out with 10GbE switched ports, and many people will immediately jump on the upgrade bandwagon, dragging the rest along as prices fall.

I don’t buy that at all. Systems with CPUs well over a decade old can easily saturated gigabit. A single spinning-rust hard drive can sustain speeds in excess of gigabit.

Here is a thought. With rising cost of housing and more people staying home with parents/family + WFH becoming a norm, multi-gigabit internet connections and home routing/switching solutions will start to become more and more necessary. If housing continues to get more expensive and out of reach then we will start to see multi-family living arraignments become the norm where you might have 8-10 people living in the same home. If even just half of them are big consumers/power users you will start to run into a wall with less than a gig connection. I think that the home use for 2.5Gb-10Gb will only increase as time goes on.

For instance. my in-laws have two adult children that live at home + one is engaged and the fiancee basically lives with them so 5 people total. When they are all at home at the same time they can come pretty damn close to pegging their Gig cable connection and routinely go through multiple terabytes of data a month. Imagine if both sons were living with a SO and then maybe one of them has a kid. Not unrealistic in metropolitan areas where cost of living is quickly outpacing earning potential for many people.

4 Likes

Cost. 10g also has more restrictive cable requirements.

I’ve got 100G uplinks at work. :joy:

2 Likes

at least where i am those are all over 100 100 - 138 plus tax’s. but either way thats also for a card with not many parts so for companies to integrate it into a board its alot its why most mobos with 10g in it cost alot.
yeah but at the same time adoption isn’t going to start unless there viable reason to and i think most oems just see it as a loss in profit margin with no upside and id agree.

if some one is waiting for integrated wifi on 10 g router they have lost the plot. since wifi hardly hits 100/100.

they can just handle 1G but there is alot of bottlenecks in the real world but i was saying they cant handle 10G

Maybe the clients, the routers definitely can not
We’re starting to see now netgate appliances able to handle gbit speed when filtering, and they are in the 400-800USD range, for gigabit, you won’t find a 10Gbit capable router for sale below 1.5K, and god knows how much a commercial solution that supports 10Gbit when filtering will cost you right now … sure you can craigslist a 10gbit capable server on top of which you can install vyos and route at 10gbit for 6007-700USD, same specs and filtering? Think 2-3K and 200-300W of power draw … I don’t see that being shrinked in a tp-link appliance anytime soon …

That’s an interesting theory, but with WFH, I would say the trend would be to move to the country side, where living costs are lower. Very few people can resist with 5 people in a house with 2 bathrooms, let alone 8. And small housing is also pretty trendy, where the legislation and zoning doesn’t prohibit it, but even then, people get around it by putting their house on wheels (and there are some places restricting that too).

I am not a data hoarder, as I don’t save any data on my devices, but I do gobble up a lot of network bandwidth. When I had vnstat on my pfsense router (when the plugin used to work, that is), I saw usage between 700 and 900 GB per month. By myself. My watching habits haven’t really changed.

I have about 200 Mbps down here where I am now, but because of my VPN, I get about <2 MB/s downloads (15 Mbps) download speeds. And I live with this. I probably still watch just as much stuff.

Would I appreciate a 100 MB/s download speed? Sure would, but I don’t have much need for that. I have gigabit FFTH at my old place, where my VPN is, but virtually nobody lives there now.

I don’t think in a household each member could use more than 10 MB/s at the current rate of things. So with the “extreme” of 8 people, at best you would get away with a 1 Gbps home connection. And that is when everyone is watching a different 4K* video stream (depending on bitrate and encoding) at the same time.

What we lack though is upload speed, which we seriously need, it’s ridiculous that ISPs here can get away with the old asymmetrical model of DSL when the medium can handle full duplex just fine. But it’s good for business to restrict symmetrical connections to the “business plan.” And with no competition because of the high barriers of entry, nobody can challenge that.

But 10GbE at home for the LAN? Count me in. I believe more people should be self-hosting stuff and be data hoarders, so there is less reliance on the internet for general stuff, like video streaming. Having an offline cache for the whole family to watch would be a great benefit. And for those real 4K high bitrate streams + other services running in the background, those really need the 10G backbone, even if the end devices are Gigabit or just use WiFi.

Guess I’m glad I was an early adopter for once.

Most people don’t go out and buy a network switch… they buy an internet NAT router with switch and WiFi built-in.

1 Like

This, I’m kinda waiting for a router with 10G ports and supports Tomato to exist before I jump to 10G. (I’m thinking about making a NAS soon.)

1 Like

Unless you’re gaming, 20 meg is probably enough for a small household who doesn’t do piracy. It’s enough for multiple streams of high def or 4k.

Gaming though? I want all the bandwidth I can get. Games are huge now.

But yeah to elaborate on the more restrictive cable requirements: 10G rated cat6 has bend radius restrictions, thicker more expensive cables, tighter tolerances for termination, etc. for home users I suspect vendors would expect far more network problems on consumer 10G due to physical media causing errors due to end users either not knowing or not following the specs for their home installs.

And on dumb non managed consumer switches, diagnosing cable problems without port stats would be very difficult.

It can be tricky even if you have port stats.

4 Likes

A fellow person of culture, I see.

3 Likes

Sure, SFP+ cards are kinda cheap. You’ll need a DAC or an Ethernet converter though unless you want to run fibre.

Chiplets. Also, the space isn’t that limited, and NIC aren’t built on the newest processes.

I currently use an x86 thin client running OpenWRT, with a Mellanox SFP+ card. I have an Nbase-capable SFP+ module for the WAN side. It negotiates 2.5 gigabits with the cable modem, but pretends to be 10-gigabit to the NIC, so running SQM on the WAN interface is essential.

I then have an SFP+ DAC to connect to a Zyxel XGS1210: two SFP+, two 2.5GbE, eight 1GbE.

I was also considering getting a Deciso DEC740 (AMD Ryzen Embedded) as a router because it’s fanless.

1 Like

Especially is you’re running any storage over IP. In fact, you should have QoS applied to ensure Storage will have HIGH priority in the switch and on the ports. Disconnecting storage from a host: because of X,Y,Z on the network can crash/halt applications.

It’s not like fetching email from a server, browsing web, etc.