What's your favourite linux distro, I'm curious (truly, I am). (Let's keep this civil!)

Mentioned this sometime in the past in these forums, but; I’ve run Fedora for the past couple years, prefer it for the same reason @Vitalius mentioned that it just works, and it’s proven to be stable (plus I prefer selinux over apparmor).
As far as Arch goes, I really like how painfree it is to get hold of some random packages thanks to the aur. Luckily a solution is to have Fedora as the main OS with Arch bootstrapped in its own sub-directory; this way you get best of both worlds having basically 2 distros running in parallell with no overhead since they both run on the same kernel.
So when I feel like it, (in Fedora), I click on a custom launcher which brings up a second xfce panel that’s actually Arch.

1 Like

My favorite used to be Gentoo. I still love it, but Puppy has now taken my heart. The packages may be outdated, but its fast and the community is as cool as the Gentoo community. The exact Puppy I use is X-Slacko Slim.

Back in the day, there was a Gentoo Puppy Linux. Unfortunately that kicked the bucket. But if it were still around that would be my favorite as it merges my two loves.

Arch. Easy.

Why? I can bang out

sudo paceman -Syyu

instantly. If I have to update I don’t need to open some dumbass app, pop open a terminal, bam. The AUR is also the best thing ever.

With that, you ask what other distress you should play with. I have no idea. I think if you need to see other things start from the bottom and work your way up. Slackware -> Mageia -> Debian -> Arch -> Ubuntu.

giphy (5)

FTFY

3 Likes

top key I’m still asleep. IDC about typos rn

Also I’m on a mac.

I have been using Ubuntu Unity since I started, now that unity is going away, I am switching to Pop!_OS since I have a feeling that it will work the best with my Nvidia graphics card. I also have Fedora 25 on my laptop but I usually have Ubuntu booted more often since I have all of the package management commands are muscle memory at this point

Slackware, I honestly haven’t tried another distro in a long time… back in the 90’s though I tried everything from Slackware to Turbo linux.

Please tell more

Arch for laptops with bspwm and termite for the stuff and things.
On the main desktop it has to be Fedora.

Install pacman on Fedora (dirty, right?):
fedora ~]# dnf install arch-install-scripts
fedora ~]# pacman-key --init
fedora ~]# pacman-key --populate archlinux

Enable Arch mirrors from:
fedora ~]# /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Create the new directory:
fedora ~]# mkdir /path/to/Arch

Install Arch in said directory:
fedora ~]# pacstrap -di /path/to/Arch base base-devel sudo

If it spews errors about missing dependencies, just ignore them:
:: Do you wanto to skip the above packages for this upgrade? [y/N] y

SELinux will go haywire so you should create a couple local policies and change a couple contexts, or set it to permissive mode if you’re lazy

When that’s sorted that’s it and Arch is installed, ready to be chrooted into.
What? Were you surprised it was this quick? :wink:

systemd-nspawn is pretty neat, but SELinux thinks otherwise so set it to permissive when launching it
fedora ~]# setenforce 0
fedora ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -bD /path/to/Arch/

If you feel uncomfy, re-enable SELinux
fedora ~]# setenforce 1

Enjoy your Arch.

To forward X from the chroot environment to the host, you need to allow local network access to your host’s X server
fedora ~]$ xhost +local:
fedora ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

And throw the chroot environments X to the host, which identified in this case as :0.0
arch ~]$ export DISPLAY=:0.0

Sound can be enabled by installing ‘paprefs’, and ticking the box that says ‘Enable network access to local sound devices’

EDIT: Oh, and you probably don’t want to be in an untrusted network when forwarding X & pulseaudio.

6 Likes