What's your favourite linux distro, I'm curious (truly, I am). (Let's keep this civil!)

Still Solus for me as well. It’s not given me any issues on my laptop for quite some time now.

1 Like

Been meaning to try solus, its following here reinforces that.

1 Like

Fair warning, for me, Linux is a secondary OS. With Solus, I’ve stayed out of the terminal. The apps I’ve wanted were already in the software center – a lot of people find the repo lacking (which now Solus supprts snaps which should help there).

I tried several light distro’s on an emachines 1300
LXLE not only worked but worked very well, was very fast.
If I had a diferent old PC and Puppy worked but LXLE froze then Puppy would have been my fav.

Special place for Slackware 0.8 something, my first, and of course the 8088 version of Minix. The ultimate micro kernel.

Tough choice between Fedora and Ubuntu for me. I was digging Fedora but now my desktop is getting some serious errors with Fedora lately and trying to reinstall the OS made things worse in that regard. I am having some bizarre errors in this regard and I cannot figure out if it’s my GPU, or if it’s the Motherboard and USB ports or if I am not properly installing the OS.

Right now it’s OpenSUSE, especially since they’ve added the proprietary NVIDIA drivers to a up to date repo. But I think it’s going to be Solus really soon. Still holding off due to not yet properly compiling a program I need, but that’s the last block really.

I use arch and everyone who uses anything else is a piece of shit pleb with absolutely no skill
/s

All joking aside, I love arch for it’s package manager and bleeding edge packages. Then there’s also the level of control it gives you, even without having to compile everything from source like on gentoo. Though in a few weeks, when I get my new cpu, I may give gentoo another try.

Also what’s up with people liking Solus. It’s a name I’ve heard many times at this point, but I’ve never really given it a try. What makes solus stand out from the rest? I genuinely want to know

3 Likes

I mostly oscillate between Arch(-based) and OpenSUSE. Currently running Manjaro on the desktop and Tumbleweed on the laptop. I love the way Arch works when isn’t breaking things, and for the quick updates. I love OpenSUSE for the consistency and the OBS.

Really though, as long as it isn’t Debian-based I can get along just fine. I don’t know what it is about Debian, but I just don’t like it.

Also, I still have a soft spot for LFS. It was my first distro, and I learned so much for the year or two that I ran it. That said, at this point I have little desire to see code compile pretty much ever again.

It’s super stable, many things work out of the box, Bungie is a clean interface, basically no bloat, it’s maintained/run by Ikey who seems to know his shit and super involved in the community. Honestly there is a lot to love about it. It’s still small, but Ikey’s passion is in the back end of the OS, making sure everything works the way it should.

Don’t look at it as something for enthusiasts only, rather as a legitimate clean, hassle-free distro for every day use and “getting shit done” instead of “fixing shit”.

1 Like

Rolling KDE neon on two ThinkPads and my Ryzen 1700x dev build. Legit down to one computer with windows at this point (gaming rig…4790k).

1 Like

My furthest experience with Linux takes the form of Linux Mint 18.1 on a Thinkpad W500, and that’s for the most part for very basic tasks - word processing, surfing, etc. And it works really well, it’s really snappy on 10-year-old hardware. But that’s the extent of it thus far.

Now that I’ve moved to X99 and have a nice 14-core itching to flex its muscles, and after seeing Wendell’s recent stream about setting up virtualization on Threadripper and X299 and the video about Qubes, I see a move to Linux coming in the very near future. The prospect of being able to be truly OS-agnostic is very appealing to me indeed. And for that Linux install, I’m really feeling the pull of Fedora.

4 Likes

give in to the temptation

5 Likes

Same here. His live stream has started to cause a bloody itch. Oh @wendell :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I pretty well just rock Ubuntu these days. I used to be big into Gentoo.

A through and through Windows guy here. But when I have to use Linux, for whatever reason… it happens !, I’ll use CentOS Minimal. Why ?
While I prefer minimal install, for security, when I really really should need an emergency desktop install, mostly because I’m not a hardcore linux hackerman, I prefer Cinnamon Desktop that can be installed on CentOS only, as far as I know. Why Cinnamon ?
Because all Linux desktops look terrible. Cinnamon seems to be the best there is. This is obviously very subjective opionion, so feel free to lash out and attack the hell out of this post !

Long crap short, my go to Linux distro is CentOS and since I don’t know much about the +/- of distros, I don’t see my choice changing any time soon.

CentOS is easily the best (free as in beer) workstation OS. It’s the only one you can get CAD and VFX software working on easily and things just work™

That said, windows vista is clearly the most popular according to the likes.

3 Likes

Ubuntu Gnome. And a server w/ Debian 9.

My perception is there is an abundance of troubleshooting discussion and most software is tested against Ubuntu.

2 Likes

I’ll probably give it a try in the near future. Lately arch has been acting up a bit more than usual and franky I’m sick of always fixing everything…
Also Solus having budgie is a big plus

you mean like this? shh, dont tell anyone I did this.