What's wrong with Termaltake Versa C21?

Hey…
So what’s wrong with that case? Why hasn’t it taken over the world?
I’ve been running Fractal Arc Midi R2 for a while now. It’s crazy good case, but it’s fairly old design now. There are some quality of life improvements, that aren’t present in the fractal case due to it’s age. So I was looking for a new case and I found this case…

Thermaltake Versa C21 RGB…
Improvements over the Arc Midi R2:

1. Possible triple 140mm front intake

If you look closely there are mounts for it on the top of the optical drive bay, speaking of which
2. Removable optical drive bay so you can actually mount a third fan
3. Case light, RGB (I will just set it to one color), my guess is, the LED strips may be using the standard RGB connection, so may be they are compatible with most motherboards and controllers

Or may be not…
4. Not one, but two fan controllers for all together 4 fans
5. Open insides with no hard drive cages, so nothing obstructs airflow
6. It’s 55€…

So… TL;DR, what’s wrong with it? Why haven’t it taken over the world? I doubt it’s because of the lack of full RGB addressable crap. Or is it the whole termalfake thing? Cause there is no case for 50€ that’s even close to the features of that one…

Not everyone thinks the same? Would be a pretty damn boring world if everyone did.

2 Likes

People tend to dislike Thermaltake because they steal designs from other companies. Personally, I don’t care. That’s between Thermaltake and those other companies. If a case fits my needs and is affordable I’ll at least consider it. This looks like a fine case to me. Aside from lacking rubber grommets. But at that price point I guess I can’t really expect it to have them.

That being said, I don’t see anything about this case that gives it an advantage over Fractal Design Arc Midi R2, if you already have it.

2 Likes
  1. It’s Thermaltake so many people (including myself for some of their cases) Don’t like them.

2. It’s Thermaltake and not Corsair/Fractal/CoolerMaster/Phanteks/NZXT so people don’t have the same level of exposure to it, and techtubers whore those other brands to death regardless of build quality (I’m rather disappointed with my node 304. Bent panels and the screws don’t go in easily, my $30 raidmax PoS does better going together).

3. No PSU shroud, No Tempered Glass side panel, and from those pictures no rubber grommets on the cable management holes. The people want all those regardless of their usefulness (or lack thereof).

1 Like

Its arbitrary to buy a new box to put the same parts in?

Everybody “steals” from everybody, CaseLabs got to apologize to ThermalTake for their outburst. I have forgotten when it was? Years ago now probably.

I have a pretty recent Thermaltake case, it is decent. Build quality is not the best, but not the worst either. Somewhere in the middle. Their asking price tend to be on the high side IMHO, I got the case on a sale.

The Versa C21 looks ugly to me, those oddly shaped plastic front and top panels especially. RGB does not make it any more appealing either. I rather not have an acrylic window side panel. The PSU fan filter goes out the back, that sucks, but at least there is a filter. There seems to be a filter in the front mesh, that is good. Plastic front panel have those cheap plastic nobs, hopefully you won’t have to remove it many times as those tend to break. Top panel also looks like it has a fan filter built in.

Price of 55€ sounds about right for what you get. If you want RGB it could be worth it, but if you’re like me and rather not have any RGB… well.

Yet the fake thing is still talked about and this is the first time i hear about the apology…
IDK. i don’t think there is anything better for the price…

meaning glass? Why? I don’t understand glass…

I think he means no window at all. Seems like he’s the type to go with the whole “minimalist” case thing.

The problem for me is that this cheap case looks cheap.

No, I rather not have a window at all. I’m more into sound dampening or filtered air intake.

So I just looked at some reviews of this case and there seems to be plenty of things wrong with it. Things that are so basic that there’s simply no excuse for them. It now seems to be too expensive considering all of its flaws. For $10-15 more you can get something much, much better.

1 Like

Oh wow… That thing with the front 140mm fan is amazingly stupid mistake…
And I didn’t know there was no front dust filter for I takes…

Well, now I will have to agree with that…

I’m 100% sure it was more like “To control the PR damage, Thermaltake threatened to sue Caselabs into bankruptcy if they didn’t write a formal apology”.

The whole thing was blown so much out of proportions, there was places, claiming the Ring LED fans drop Tt are stolen design from Corsair’s plastic interchangeable rings, no matter the difference in everything, not to mention wstercooling fittings, that look the same anyways… Basically people say thermaltake don’t have any original ideas, just because they made a few similar designs. Yet as of late their cases both look original and have unique features, that many others don’t have…

Well…the older ones would hold your stuff but they were thin, light, and rattle boxes. Cheap tho.

That is just a modern version of the same thing. Thin /light/noisy/ and still a rattle box.

That I will agree with. While they still have copied the Case Labs aesthetic for a bunch of them (those rounded rectangular slots staggered like bricks, there’s a lot of different things you can do but they chose to copy case labs there, that much is undeniable). And then the whole copying fractal thing (which imo is far less significant than the case labs copying because a fractal case is literally just a black box with some vents in the side of the front).

I do like a lot of their original designs, if only they could come up with a unique aesthetic rather than reuse the one associated with Case Labs.