What's Ubuntu asking for with telemetry?

No.

Post must be at least 5 characters.

We had this a few years ago when SystemD was shoveled into everything. “Amazon made systemD to spy on you with journalCTL!!!” Fastest way to end that was to have them actually open and read journalCTL.

Wanna know how to kill this retardation spree? Steam Hardware Survey. Its the exact same thing as that, and pretty much sends the same report.

2 Likes

Good comparison.

IMO a lot of this is still fallout from Natty Narwhal and peoples computer going from being a usable desktop to 20-60+ second wait time for the menu to respond since a lot of people back then were on single core systems with 256MB to 768MB of ram(This ended up with a large amount of the OS loading from swap). Also about the time I quit helping people in IRC, never ending wall of people blaming everyone in IRC for Canonicals decisions. Xubuntu got really popular around that time because we were all sending them to that as an alternative to Ubuntu.:rofl:

The Ubuntu community will probably always be jumpy when ever Canonical does something, They have had lots of community splits like TS to L1T over the years.

Well if people dont like the telemetry tracking that Ubuntu has added.
Then there are plenty of other decent alternatives to Ubuntu like Linux Mint.

1 Like

Popcorn has existed in debian for quite a while. Most people haven’t noticed or turned it off

I read about this too. You know, i wouldn’t be surprised if popcorn has been in Ubuntu for a long time, and nobody noticed.

Yes its a Debian thing.

Reminds me of people freaking out about zeitgeist in Linux Mint.

So here’s my question.

It’s been in Debian for a long time. And Ubuntu, is based on Debian. So how long has it been since people realized it was in Ubuntu?

And why did nobody make a fuss about it then? Or is this the first time anyone has heard about it? I’m curious.

I´m not sure for how long this has been in Ubuntu.
But in Debian it has been there for a while.
i believe in Debian its an opt in option that they ask you during install.
In Ubuntu popcon has probablly been there since 16.04?

Popcon is basiclly ment for letting them know what the most popular and commonly used apps are.
This basiclly stands appart from the other telemetry tracking.

I was completely unaware of popcon! Thanks for pointing it out, apt removed that bastard.

Yeah well i basiclly wanted to install a flavour of Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop.
Probablly Kubuntu or Ubuntu Mate.
But now i´m still reconcidering waiting for Linux Mint 19 or maybe Fedora28.

But Ubuntu Mate and Kubuntu are still decent distro´s.

1 Like

Since Ubuntu 14.04.

1 Like

Why remove? They are only taking the name of the app. Unless your apps are named ‘learn how to make a bomb in 5 minutes’ what is the problem, really they are just looking to see where to put engineering effort to make the most popular apps run better in Ubuntu. Your data is safe they, just want to know what people are using

1 Like

I find it offensive that they didn’t ask my permission first. But honestly I don’t want to send any telemetry anywhere under any circumstances.

Does Ubuntu have a terms of service?

If it does, maybe it has a section in there, that grants them rights to use that program? I mean, nobody reads the EULA anyway, maybe it’s been in there the whole time?

A good reason to check EULA’s. I always read them before I install shit. Cause I am picky.