What's the most fun/weird/interesting/cool but still practical to own AWD/4WD vehicle?

Uhh, because it’s your truck and there are roughly zero parallels?

I understand your complaint, but the analogy doesn’t really work. You can drive an audacious car because it’s fun and makes you feel good, and then when you step out of it you don’t have to have a Gucci-mane-esque ice-cream cone tatted on your face.

I think your opinion is about subjective as it gets. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but there are just a ton of people who don’t like the luxury truck segment because something something redneck Alabama something. Like, is a BMW or Lexus SUV less audacious? I’d say they are more so.

Bad looks don’t make bad cars any more than good looks make good cars. I hear a ton of people say the Juke is one of the worst cars Nissan has every produced, and then when I ask why they say, “I don’t like the bug eyes.” It’s a perfectly capable little crossover thing, no?

Also you can’t park it in a parking space anywhere on earth. I drove some AM General 6x6 trucks for a job I used to have in Alaska. They were a blast but also a pain in the ass.

The hell do you define as “practical”?

Rear-end shifting is just where you switch from 4x4 low to rear-2-wheel-drive high range once you hit top gear. So you’ll go normal shifts from 1st through 5th gear in 4x4 (or 6x6) low, and then when you max out low 5th you flip a switch/air actuator/lever/foot pedal to shift “up” into high gear 4x2 (or 6x4), but back into 1st gear on your shift pattern and then continue to re-run the pattern up through whatever your truck has. So the switch from low-to-high effectively disables drive to the front wheels but changes your gear ratio in the rear so you can drive at something vaguely resembling highway speeds.

Then on a lot of trucks when you need to stop you’d downshift from high gear 5th to high gear 1st, come to a stop, and once stationary re-engage 4x4 (or 6x6) and low range.

Another implementation is where you “split” the gears, so your shift would go 1-low -> 1-high -> 2-low -> 2-high -> 3 low…etc etc. In this case you’d use the clutch to shift full gears (2-high to 3-low) but an electric or pneumatic shifter mechanism takes care of the low->high on the fly transfer within a gear. Then you just to rev-matching to downshift.

A lot of semi-trucks have something like 18 or 20 effective gears the driver can use. They’ll have 8 or 9 speed transmissions with 3 different gear ranges so they can use medium and high range when just rolling the cab or towing an empty flatbed or something, then low range for actual serious towing loads with the ability to bump up to a high range, high gear on the highway. And then they have nifty stuff so you only have to use the clutch when shifting between ranges or starting from a stop, but you just throw the shifter into gear and the system takes care of it.

Big trucks are fun! Maybe I should get myself one of those 6x6 rigs I drove last year. Like, I couldn’t use it for anything, but they cost like $3500 and would be a boatload of fun on the rare weekend I could find a spot to go offroad it.

4 - 10 wheels, I can drive it in sand mud snow and ice, and I can pull / store stuff in it. For 4X4 cars theres Lan Evo’s and Blazers, and then the communism mega machines that are russian semi’s.

i don’t see whats so audacious about bmw SUVs http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/thumb-ca-bmw-x1-20d.jpg

i also think there is a reason why traditionally cars don’t have their model name in a huge font on the vehicle despite it being good marketing for the manufacturer, because it is pretty universally considered in poor taste. IDK, maybe Hipsters think its ironic now or something.

In my experience it’s usually the driver.

1 Like

i think Dodge has done irreparable damage to their image, in my eyes. They will always be the company that made this abortion

RAM is it’s own manufacturer of trucks, no longer under the Dodge banner as of 2010.

But they did make the new dart… which is an equally appalling vehicle.

2 Likes

I disagree. I think that truck would look good if you were to drop some of the chrome and shrink the badges.

That thing is still way better than the Cadillac Escalade EXT:

3 Likes

GM execs: Hey guys we need a luxury truck

Chevy execs: Why not go with a luxury Silverado?

GMC execs: We’ve already got the Sierra

GM execs: Why not a more luxurious version of the Sierra then?

Cadillac execs: Nah, we want the Avalanche.

other execs: Really???

Cadillac execs: Yup.

3 Likes

I call them the Analanche.

I get the vibe that the reason they’re doing this right now (and they are the most brash about it) is because they’re trying to make it clear that RAM Trucks is separate from Dodge. I reckon they’ll chill it a bit in the long run.

That being said though, they sell. They sell really well. It’s not hipsters that think it’s ironically cool. It’s dudes in Ohio and Alabama and Montana who like the design.

That or people who need a good truck.

Fords are too expensive now and Chevy just doesn’t seem to be as popular.

I think this is definitely a regional thing. In the PNW you will see Toyotas everywhere, but out here it’s tons of F-150’s and Silverados rolling around. Plenty of Dodges and Rams, but Chevy is definitely popular. Almost no Toyotas though.

Not sure about other areas of the country.

I’ve got a Focus RS and it’s a fun slightly practical awd car. Got it for dirt cheap cpo because of the head gasket issue and now that they’ve issued a free fix all the better. (I’m suggesting the RS since you mentioned the WRX).

Also true. (Most) all of the new truck offerings these days are great from a performance/durability perspective, so it’s all about value.

I’ve noticed this too. I’m in Ohio and trying to sell my '05 Duramax and people just aren’t biting. If I was back out west (Utah, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado) it would sell in a heartbeat at the price I’m asking.

Maaaaan, if I could snag one for under $25-$30k I’d be all over it. Seems like a hell of a car. I already have a saved monthly eBay watch so I can try to get one in 3-5 years when the depreciation hits a point where it’s leveled off but there are still lots available in good shape. Planning ahead!

Lol I’d be willing to part with mine but not for under $30k yet. I really want the limited edition one coming out next year…

really? you got it fixed for a free? a friend has a focus with the head gasket issue and i’m pretty sure he was saying you had to like get it repaired so many times before they would replace it.

Ford issued an official fix for it and offers a free inspection and gasket replacement. If it fails the pressure test they replace the cylinder head too. https://jalopnik.com/ford-says-about-27-000-focus-rses-could-have-bad-head-g-1822339880

Edit: I think it only applies to the RS. If your friend has a regular Focus or the ST I don’t think they’re covered. If he has a RS tell him to bring it in as soon as possible. They’re only doing it free until the end of the year I believe.

If I was the type of person who leased/financed cars it would be top of my list for something affordable-ish and new. However, I am not that type of person. I buy modern cars (3-10 years old) when their first wave of depreciation bottoms out and then I sell them before the 2nd wave starts so I don’t lose much money, or I buy older cars (15-∞ years old) and either drive the cheap ones until they die or drive the nice ones until they gain value either through collector’s appreciation or through my taking one in need of repair and fixing it up over the time I own it.

I’m usually the same way but the RS was my dream car over any exotics, muscle, or sports car for as long as I can remember and there was a ford dealership near me with a low mileage 2017 for $34k I had to pull the trigger. The limited edition one next year has me having an itchy finger though against my better judgement.