What's the most fun/weird/interesting/cool but still practical to own AWD/4WD vehicle?

It’s not crazy, but it seems, to me, the engine isn’t properly designed. 2.0T engine makes 134hp? Damn, I’ve got a 1.8NA in my Miata that makes 129 at the wheels and hasn’t had a single problem in 23 years. Get your shit together BMW.

Oh, don’t get me started with the focus RS. Cool idea, poorly executed.

I can definitely see the argument there. I think the problem I’m seeing is that I’ve seen multiple instances of reliability issues show up way too early on an engine that’s not really making impressive numbers. 134hp in a 2.0 is just over half of what Audi does with the 2.0 they put in the Q5.

I drove one of those. Fun car. Odd looking? yes. Did I like the styling? Not particularly, but it was definitely fun.

I have to agree with you on how good the engine sounds. It’s wonderful.

All in all, they’re alright cars, but I’ve got some concerns about a few things that just make them a bad fit for me. If you like them, love them. That’s the thing about a car that’s a bit out of the ordinary. People will love them and people will hate them. That’s part of what makes them so good. You have a car that mirrors the character of the driver.

This is the point I was making, so maybe I misunderstood your original comment. 134 HP out of their engine is certainly not squeezing out too much for the size. The 1.4 liter in my Abarth makes 160hp and has proven to be a reliable powertrain in the market for most-all folks except those who smoke their clutches, the lead-footed goons.

Do you have a source for your claim about their engine problems? I’m looking through JD Power and CarComplaints lists and can’t find anything significant other than the timing chain issue they had a recall for in like 2009 or 2010. Is this another case of reputation not being backed by reality? (A reputation I have attributed to them as well. Not accusing you or anything I may not also be guilty of lol.)

I have the greatest appreciation for this sentiment. I love that you can learn a lot about a person by what they drive and how they talk about their car.

I was discussing the VehiCross with a coworker and how it appeals to me for the same reasons by Abarth does. Quirky, weird, has superficial design problems that aggressively bother some but aren’t a concern to me, and is objectively a very very capable vehicle for what it was designed to do. He went off on a rant about how it’s a stupid ugly dumb Jeep impersonation that’s ugly and universally hated and how I’m gonna lose money on it (Prices starting at $3,500. I think I’d be fine lol) and it’s not worth the scrap price and it’s the worst thing ever put on 4 tires. You can hate the car, but yeesh! Seems to me like a VehiCross swept in and stole his woman back in 2001 or something.

This guy drives a leased BMW 6-series that he can’t really afford. I don’t endorse the opinion that BMW is a pretentious brand, but making serious financial sacrifices to drive a brand-new BMW because you like the image it projects is a pretty pretentious thing to do. For somebody who works as an engineer for an auto-maker he seems to not really get what’s wonderful about cars, and not really have much of a love for them himself.

Anyway, as a consequence of this rant I want that particular vehicle even more. It’s moved up a couple slots on my consideration list. Guess that does say a fair bit about my personality, eh?

3 Likes

I’m going to call up one of my friends and see if he’ll let me post the service records. It’s a 2014 Cooper S. (not sure which specific engine)

Very possibly. Let me see about those records. I’ll update soon.

Another weird, ugly car, awesome! I think I’m starting to flesh out your type. :stuck_out_tongue:

heh, yeah. Damn. A 6 Series can’t be cheap. I was looking at used 3 series and that made me go Benz.

Not very far you can go from $3500. If you lose that money after a couple years, that’s literally the 3 year depreciation on my daily.

what do you have against the juke?

I’ll chime in and say Suzuki Grand Vitara/XL-7 are cheap and fun.
Old Jeeps and Land Cruisers are def. great.
However, for maximum fun/weird/interesting/cool you need a GAZ 69 or 69-A.

The look of it.

Looks like someone took the Pontiac Aztec and said “you know what? I can make this appeal to kids.”

Meh, a lot of worse offenders imo. Like a lot of modern pickup tracks with a massive amount of polished steel on their grill and like massive letters spelling out the model on the tailgate. Why don’t you get a tattoo on your face and ass branded with the model name as well? And massive shiny grills on pickup trucks are about as classy as massive shiny grills on rappers.

Very true.

Cars, like many things, are very subjective when it comes to looks. Personally, I think things like the Juke are ugly as sin and like the look of (for example) the new Ranger, even though it is fair to say it’s a departure from what it used to be…

Ew its got no hood hole thats no soobaroo

1 Like

That and it’s got no trunk. That makes it pretty impractical. (I should know, I’ve got a miata)

I mean the trunk on the R34 is mostly a rear-steer system and space for like a speed gun.

Yeah, I don’t really think that’s a very practical car either.

I mean if you want a fun and practical 4WD vehicle get a russian semi truck. 9 gears, 4wd, magic happy fuck you its communism time.

Plus you get free wodka.

Definitely not a bad choice.

Damn, 9 gears?

According to spintires :U its probably 6 normal then 3 rear. I don’t understand how rear-end shifting works. I’ll keep my stupid little drift mobiles @>@

Yeah… rear-end shifting is a bit odd. I don’t really understand it either.

I imagine it’s the same as regular shifting though.

Isn’t it all done with one stick though? I know its that way with stubby bob…

Uh not sure.

You know how some jeeps have a second lever for high/low? I always imagined it was like that.

If anyone knows this stuff and wants to chime in, that would be awesome!

I mean most trucks with 4WD that are 2WD default have that.

Shows what I know about trucks. :confused:

1 Like