Whats the latest on blocking ads on YouTube etc on IOS and Android mobile devices?

Everyone’s budget is different, but my solution specifically for YT is to just pay the $7/month for YT Premium. I receive a few dollar discount for being an early adopter of G Music, which includes YT Premium .

You realize the you can just watch youtube in browser with the normal adblockers and be fine… Avoid their app like the plague.

I use Blokada on android to stave off the ads.

Stop giving bad advice.

TL;DR: If you don’t jailbreak your iPhone, you’re screwed as there is no solution on iOS.

Chromecast also has no solution.

Only solutions are on Android with Newpipe. That’s it.

1 Like

The other solution is to stop using YouTube and pressure your favourite channels to also post elsewhere.

1 Like

I use Vimeo, but as a creator on Vimeo, you have to pay $300+ per year to have the Pro account to allow yourself to have commercial sponsors. Otherwise it’s $100 a year for 5GB per week, and has to be in perpetuity or your videos go down. (Pro is limited to 20GB per week. Next level up is Business with unlimited weekly limits but $600+ per year.)

However, responses like yours are EXACTLY why I use Vimeo. They still use a Music Content ID system, but as long as you use incompetech or “Copyright-free” music, it’s fine.

1 Like

Canadian? It’s about $250 usd, actually not bad to be honest. Though obviously limiting for small creators perhaps with no income to pay for the expense.

And still 20GB limit per week until you pay $600+ per year.

Agreed. Not Floatplane though, at least as long as they charge for each creator you want to follow. I don’t want to pay 100s of dollars per month.

I can already predict Google’s final solution. Eventually they will integrate the personalized ads into the .flv/mp4/webm file itself. All they need is enough processing power to start generating the new video file immediately when you click a video.
At that point even video downloaders (my preferred method of getting my YT content) won’t work anymore.

There’s already a solution for that and Twitch is the first one to use it in terms of online media. It changes TS streams on the fly without re-encoding.

Granted, the kickback was huge when they initially rolled it out that they left one type of stream API request without these implemented otherwise uBlock Origins around the world would bring their CDN to a crawl re-requesting stream segments until the ad was over.

1 Like

Realistically how much video would that be for say L1T? (@wendell?). Not that Vimeo is the only alternative or suitable for everyone but its definitely one that’s stuck around despite youtubes essential monopoly.

Root + Xposed framework is just about the only way to block the app

Ya… without root android is garbage. I see myself not using android at all in the near future.

1 Like