What's the current state of AMD TR 3990X support on Windows 10 Pro?

In their review of AMD’s Ryzen Threadripper 3990X, AnandTech indicate that Windows 10 Pro wasn’t able to handle 128 threads in a single NUMA node:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15483/amd-threadripper-3990x-review/3

It’s a well known limitation of Windows which I believe has its roots in the fact that Windows uses 64-bit words to represent process affinity.

A comment posted on a Ars Technica’s article suggests that a fully patched Windows 10 Pro version no longer has this restriction:

Has this been confirmed or refuted?

2 Likes

I did a lot of testing with the latest Windows 10 pro update (april 2020). The Anandtech problems are indeed solved in the latest updates. I now get similar results as Windows 10 Enterprise on the reported Anandtech benchmarks.

However, still remains the problem that Windows splits the 128 threads in two Processor groups (64 threads each). Some application are only able to see 64 threads because of these processor groups. For example, Java (JVM) based applications like the Renaissance benchmark suite only uses 64 threads.

1 Like

Hi, thanks, that’s good to know!

I was wrongly assuming that the performance issues with Windows 10 Pro were related to the 128 threads being split into two processor groups, but if I understand correctly there were additional performances issues on top of this split.

I’m assuming that Windows 10 Pro for Workstation also has the limitation of 64 hw threads per processor group?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.