What's the big deal with systemd?

So if someone were to design a decent desktop environment which didn’t require systemd, it could potentially reverse systemd’s momentum?

Only if it were more adopted than GNOME. There’s no real way to undo GNOME requiring systemd, unless GNOME itself does it.

While that’s not comprehensive, you can see why GNOME requiring systemd meant that distro maintainers had to at least support it.

I’m sure a lot of that comes from Fedora since that was the distro that used systemd by default for the longest before the change, and other reasons like Fedora “just working” relative to a lot of other desktop distros.

It honestly just seems like Lennert would rather not develop for other peoples software. He’d probably rather just pick one of each thing to be compatible with systemd and just go “ok, that’s it. this is what you get. I won’t make it compatible with anything else because effort.”

Yay!

https://www.parabola.nu/news/new-openrc-and-lxde-isos/

1 Like

What about this: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki's_EFI_Install_Guide/Setting_up_the_GNOME_3_Desktop_under_OpenRC

1 Like

Yeah it’ll work because thats a source based distro. Really only possible on Gentoo.

2 Likes

Don’t forget about Slackware.

Better start learning Gentoo then, lol.

What do you mean?

Slackware uses a different init system.

And it is/was source based. I have not used it in forever but at one point there was talk of offering precompiled binaries.

Yeah but slackware isn’t completely free, plus there’s talk that they are considering systemd as well. (Not that Gentoo is free though). I was particularly excited about Parabola because it’s Arch-like, is completely free and offers openrc.

I am considering Gentoo for my Desktop PC where I use proprietary software like Steam anyway and it wouldn’t make sense to want a free distro with that. However I will be able to run Gnome + OpenRC on that machine.

Wow, I didn’t know that. Is that still the case? Is there any reason it would need to use a separate DNS server?