Whats my best option for a hosted NAS

Mass production in a Chinese factory only different logos

I like to receive such notifications. Sometimes a person can forget especially if there is no need to touch dns often. I also don’t see the point in keeping inactive accounts. So I support the owner that deletes not active after 6 months. One login for half a year should not be a problem for something that is free.

You can choose an image from omv, it doesn’t make that much difference. A little different partition layout is but … OMV for arm is nothing but armbian.
In fact omv is not officially on arm. The arm version is a group project that has been hooked up to the official omv with some back door. Volker Theile is not interested in arm he focuses exclusively on x86. One of the more active dev omv / arm was, until recently, Thomas Kaiser unfortunately two weeks ago he left the project after a conflict. I talked to Aaron Murray who is really the main one nowadays when it comes to arm and he assures me that he will be making more images also in version 5.y which is to appear stable when debian 10.1 appears in Volker’s words. Whereas armbian is under the control of Igor Pečovnik who has nothing to do with OMV.
Currently, it doesn’t matter what image you choose, but it can make a difference when 5.0 appears stable.

Armbian probably has versions on Ubuntu. If you want a fedora, you’ll probably create the right image yourself.

https://www.armbian.com/odroid-hc1/

1 Like

I just wanted to update this with my current setup.

I was able to get Nextcloud working, but, with the stock docker container, SSL isn’t configured and i wasn’t able to figure this out over the weekend. The recommended way is to use a proxy, but the docker-compose file, even after extensive modification, wouldn’t provide a working build.
I also tried to get traefik working, but i wasn’t able to determine where the docker socket lives on a qnap NAS. The default setup wasn’t working for that.

Sooo, since i won’t set up Nextcloud without encryption for external access, i’m with Mega for now. I had that account set up a while back and it seems like one of the better options. Plenty of storage, data is properly encrypted, they have clients for all OS’s including Android and the sync seems to just work. It’s not as featurerich as Google, Dropbox or similar, but i’m counting this as a good thing.

The nextcloud project isn’t completely scrapped though. I’ll be back at it next weekend. Heck, i’ve set up over 30 Webservers with 50 odd domains at work, all working with SSL and the whole nine yards. I should be able to get a single freakin’ nextcloud instance to work on my NAS.
The fact that qnap makes it easy, also means it’s really hard to configure stuff that isn’t in the UI.

Sidenote: After a recent thread i reactivated my Tutanota Account and am now in the process to degrade my Gmail to a juck inbox.

Do physical separation of services. Buy NanoPI Neo2 and install armbian + cloud with or without docker, according to your preferences.
And leave qnap only as a disk resource … and connect to nanopi with nfs / smb. The cost is not big and separating services may be useful one day.

r

Better than Proton?

The Problem with that is speed. I have a Pi lying around at home doing basically nothing atm. But 1. i’d need to invest in a USB Harddrive and 2. Most PI’s are slow, even more so since they use USB for the harddrive.
I’m still looking into what i want to do with all of this. As said, the current setup isn’t the final solution. I also wanted to get a new Pi 4 and one of the Pine64 boards. Maybe this is a good reason to look into more powerfull SBCs

Depends on by what measurement. I had Proton, but it was just to inconvenient for my taste. The Connector for external Programms didn’t work half of the time, and i lost a good chunk of mails because, after resetting your password, anything before that isn’t decryptable anymore.
Proton is better if you absolutely 100% need fully encrypted mail and security. Tutanota is a bit more convenient, while not being google, still encrypting your stuff and being from the very country i live in.

So yes, for me it’s better. For you? idk.

I am aware of the inconvenience that RPI has but …

Only I am not talking about raspberry pi but NanoPI from friendlyarm. But if H3 or H5 and 512MB / 1GB is not enough, Odroid XU4 / HC2 who eats RPI for breakfast and the price is still reasonable.

I am not saying to replace qnap with sbc as NAS. Only transfer the cloud layer to sbc and qnap will continue to do what it did, i.e. serve data.
How much processing power do you need for a private cloud?
My Samsung Exynos5422 and 2GB are doing quite well.

You don’t have to invest in usb. SBC in this case only needs A1 / A2 sd cards and eth connections nothing more. Because qnap will give space for cloud files. SBC is only intended to support cloud operation, not files in this scenario.

And if we’re talking about moving NAS to sbc then the perfect solution is Odroid HC2 or HC1. Fast stable and no problems with usb because it has a sata port. And raspberry pi are slow and I would never recommend them as a NAS, maybe 4 but I would still choose HC2 as a small soho NAS.
So I don’t see a situation when you would have to buy something on usb …

https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=180

Interesting, i never thought about using a Share on the NAS as Storage for NextCloud on the SBC. I wonder how that would impact performance.

Oh well, guess i’ll have to do some testing. I’ll test with a regular pi3b+ and a zero W to see how their hardware impacts performance in that case. I’ll see from there wether an upgrade would be needed at all. I’ll also retest with a 1TB USB Drive (once i get that back).

I’m not saying you must do it. This is one of the possible solutions that I sometimes prefer. Of course, the cheapest and easier will be to do it on qnap. But considering the price of sbc it could be a nice little project in a situation where you have real use to use it.

I don’t think RPI tests give you a good view of the situation. RPI has tragically weak transfers that will completely discourage you from doing so.
The bottleneck here will be RPI, only RPI4 would be able to handle this task, all the others are not suitable for it.
I don’t see a problem in performance if you use the right sbc. How much qnap can give you r / w? Can it saturate a full 1Gb/s? I think that there should be no problem getting 50MB/s
But certainly not with RPi 3 / W … Just physically impossible.

And another update.
I finally had the time today to sit down and get NextCloud set up on the Pi.
YES Performance is sub-par. I don’t care so far. It’s more of a trial anyways. After leaving my NAS and being comfortably back on a plain Debian Install, everything was (mostly) smooth sailing. Moving the Data Directory to a SMB mount wasn’t as straight forward. You can’t set permissions on those mounts directly. They have to be set at mount time. Other than that, i’m now running Latest Nextcloud, including DynDNS through the already existing hostname and proper Lets-Encrypt Certificates.
I was brave enough now, to open port 443 directly to the pi. I’m pretty sure i’ve got all the security in place that i’d need (no root login, all passwords changed, only https allowed etc.).

I’ve done the whole setup over WiFi so far, so no performance measurements yet. I’ll do some testing later but want to make a e-paper display i have work for some kind of stats monitoring.

Physical separation and Debian is a good thing. Invest in good sbc and armbian / omv / yunohost and you will have a nice cloud. :wink:
You can always add also other things like PiHole to this sbc …