Return to Level1Techs.com

Whats a reasonable Upgrade for a i5 6500?

I’ll try to keep this somewhat short.
I recently realized, that my 1070ti is bottlenecked by my older i5 6500. That’s mostly the case with higher FPS. Basically, anything above around 130FPS will be CPU bottlenecked for me.
Add to this, that Twitch or Youtube at the same time costs around 30-40% in FPS, i’m seriously looking at an Upgrade.

So, whats the “budget” path to take here? I “need” something that can handle around 200FPS in Games like Overwatch, and push some twitch (watching, not streaming) or youtube on the side. My Motherboard is a MSI B150m Nightelf. It can take up to an i7 7700. But those are freakin’ expensive. A Ryzen 5 plus MoBo would be cheaper.

What do you guys recommend?

0 Likes

My personal recommendation is hold on for Ryzen 3000 (Zen2). It’s expected in a few months (it’s said to roll out first half of 2019).
If it is what is expected to be it will massively shake things up and you may be able to get much better CPU…

If you really really need it now, Ryzen is still slightly behind on the gaming side, but I still say try a 6 core Ryzen and if you are lucky you may be able to even get an 8 core Ryzen for cheap.
But my first recommendation is hold on for a couple months…

1 Like

Thanks, will do. I don’t “need” to upgrade. I can play competitively as long as i only play a game, and most casual games run fine alongside Browser and twitch. It’s only really a “Problem” beyond 120FPS, and there aren’t too many games where i care about that.

My wife is rocking a Ryzen 5 2600 and is really happy with it. I’m looking forward to more cores (4 without HT is a bit limiting nowadays). So let’s hope Ryzen 3000 turns out great.

2 Likes

Intel’s 6th and 7th series is stuck with 4c/8t at best. And adding HT is not magically going to fix your problem. In other words, the 7700k is not worth it.

As @psycho_666 suggested, waiting for Zen2 (= Ryzen 3000 series) is the best option.

Should Zen2 not be as good for gaming as expected, there still is the 9th series Intel CPUs.

2 Likes

Since you have a non overclockable mobo the easy/cheap fix of a i5 6600k is out :frowning:

Personally, I’d be chatting with other overwatch players to find out that CPU offers the best bang for buck in your situation.

0 Likes

Depends kinda what you want and could spend really.
I mean if you want the best gaming performance at 1080p with a higherend video card,
then basically intel cpu’s are the best way to go.
In your case an upgrade to the newer intel platform would make the most probablly.
Because a 7700K basically is still only a quadcore.

• i5-9600K
  • i7-8700K
  • i7-9700k.

Those could be decent choices with a Z370 or Z390 mobo.

But if you don’t mind to loose a couple of fps at 1080p gaming,
But like to enjoy just a stabel game play overall.
Then something like the Ryzen 2600X on a B450 / X470 board will probablly,
give you the best bang for buck.
Given the fact that the 1070Ti not being the highest end gpu out there.

0 Likes

Ryzen has the loose launch window of “Mid 2019” at the moment, so it could be coming as late as July, still I’m expecting more info dropped on Zen2 at Computex.

And yes I’d also recommend waiting until Ryzen 3000 series CPU are reviewed. I’m not entirely convinced they’ll live up to the speculations, but if they have gotten around the clock speed issues of their design and can increase their IPC by 5-10% they’ll at least be on par with Intel for gaming. I’d still recommend the AMD chip though, even if it did perform slightly worse than the Intel chips.

Especially since Intel will most likely be stuck on the 9th gen CPUs for a while since their 10nm stuff isn’t performing very well currently. Well, not performing well for anything but low power laptop stuff anyway.

EDIT: Mixed CES with Computex.

0 Likes

Waiting for the new Zen 2 launch is what I’m doing, Then again I was going to do a Zen+ build but when the leaks came out I just figured to wait and see. I mean “if” they really do launch a 16/32 CPU I won’t need to upgrade for a good 8 or more years.

Last week my main finally decided I only really needed 2 SATA ports, not to mention all the other quirks it has developed. I just pulled everything out of my main and slapped it into my HP Z220 CMT that was my Ad-hoc server. Weird going from a FX-8320 to an i5-3470. Also back down to my RX 560D from a RX 580 because HP proprietary PSU.

0 Likes

I stopped trying to predict longer than 2 years long ago. If you would have told me, that we would have 8 core 16 thread CPU’s in the midrange for the masses two years ago, i would have called you crazy. Same for Optane.
Trying to assume if your Hardware will last you 8 years is gambling really. We could all be using quantum Computers by then.

It’s a weird state at the moment. You can have all the cores you want, or all the Single Threaded Performance, but not really both. I’m still trying to figure out, what my workload requires. Most games seem to be using 100% of all my 4 cores. I have no clue if this scales beyond that though. And no real way to test it. So i could get a Ryzen and even lose performance compared to my i5. All depending on the actual software you run.

For now i’ve found streamlink, which allows me to watch twitch streams in VLC. This drops CPU usage from 20% in Firefox to 2% in VLC. This is good enough to have two streams open while still gaming. This should hold me over until a CPU drops, that i feel brings some major improvements. I’m rooting for AMD here. Haven’t had an AMD System in 15 years and would really love to.

0 Likes

6 cores is kinda the sweet spot for gaming right now, how long that’ll last is anyone’s guess, but at least a few more years.

0 Likes

You guys are over shooting here

Get a Core i5 - 6501

1 Like

Doubt it. 8 cores is mainstream high end in 2017-2018, 12-16 cores will be mainstream-high end within 2019. The consoles have been many core for over a couple of generations now. PC gamers buy mainstream-high end hardware.

Additionally, DX12 and Vulkan can make better use of more cores.

The cores are available, engines are going multi-core. Prior to 2017 there was zero incentive to try and use more than 2-4 cores as the hardware was not there for consumer grade and DX11/OpenGL sucked for multi-threading. Now it is, and has been for 1-2 years already.

0 Likes