[Ended] What would you do with a TerraMaster NAS?

Finally have backups… LIVING ON THE EDGE!

3 Likes

I would use it to store my data too. Probably mostly comic books and music. Been running out of space on my main drive.

3 Likes

I would set it up to be a fedora repo mirror

6 Likes

Finally make real backups of my photo’s.

3 Likes

It would be really nice to have this for my game development data. Right now I don’t have enough disks in my tower since I’m using all my SATA headers for:

1. windows 10 install (NVME)
  2. windows 10 data
    2 to 5. ubuntu installations starting at 14.04 (i dont like upgrading i just leave the old install)

So, I actually have one MOBO header for another disk, but this would be much appreciated lol

3 Likes

I would use it as an offsite backup of my container services for my site I am launching this week. So
far we user s3, keycloak, nestjs, nextjs, sonic, fargate, mongodb,

would be interesting to set it up as a failover server for the site. Would make migration in the future ez. Also who can really trust cloud today. Hey it would prob push me to finally get a 10gbit switch :smiley:

3 Likes

I’d use it as a router and I’d also backup all the harddrive’s that I’ve had since 2008.

3 Likes

Finally, be able to reshuffle the multitude of Proxmox VMs that really need a reshuffle!

3 Likes

Use it to backup/organize all the files on my server and conserve electricity, since on solar, one has to conserve electricity draw at night. And it probably takes a lot less than 1200W at night actively working hard! And when one has a very limited income downtime is even more costly when ANY hard drive goes out when one has no RAID setup due to needing all the storage capacity that they can obtain. And having around 89TB worth of files to go through hard drives will probably start failing when trying to go through that volume of data!

4 Likes

I would set up a NAS server for my daughter who is getting into Network Engineering. I already have a full PC NAS for myself =)

4 Likes

For me I’d retire my barely functioning RPi4 Plex server and update to the F5-422 and also set up a VirtualMachine lab for my pentesting experiments.

3 Likes

Assuming the Giveaway is open to the UK run a NAS / Plex server outside of my desktop. Gotta seed those Linux distros.

3 Likes

Hi Wendell,

Thank you very much for the review. I had always been cautious of terramaster because I read that they weren’t reliable, but I’m glad to hear that you said it was okay!

If I won the NAS, I’d migrate my current Plex library to this. I’d use it for just plain ol’ network storage as my Plex server has a better processor and more ram.

3 Likes

finally back up all the things properly. plex server likely.

3 Likes

< joke >
I will send it to Iran to save you from problems with US. state
< /joke >

I will it use to make backup system for my relatives.
I have told them 100 times that backup is nessesary, but they don’t want to make any backups.
P.S. I have same nickname on Level1 Forum.

3 Likes

I would use this for Plex and iScsi on ESXi.

3 Likes

Would finally set up a remote backup server to backup my backups offsite.

3 Likes

Install TrueNAS and learn how to use it, buy some good drives to put in it and finally be able to do some transcoding in Plex (I have a RPi server now and it struggles)

3 Likes

Build out my remote storage setup. Would love to get more ZFS storage going on

3 Likes

I would love to make this my Plex server, currently using my main rig/gaming system so it’s not an ideal solution this would fix that! I’d also probably set this up as a Dropbox replacement.

3 Likes