What would you do about this rig? Dev rig upgrade

Hey @nickelghost,

If you’re upgrading your case, I’d upgrade your storage unless you have a proper NAS you didn’t mention. Hate to lose work. Maybe 3 HDD’s in ZFS raidz1 or if you’re super hip some even number HDDs with in sets of 2 mirrored vdevs all in a giant pool of wonder store. Your motherboard has enough free SATA ports! (maybe 4 HDDs and your 960)

If you’re getting a GPU, maybe push the power supply up to 650W+ (especially with all those sexy hard drives) and leave the 550W for a HTPC or NAS.

I’d throw in another 8GB of RAM for sure. More if you can (ZFS overhead is a bit naughty). If you want to run VMs you’ll be be a little restricted.

The Fractal cases are beautiful. Only problem with the meshify is cleaning the mesh. I have an earlier incarnation and have to wipe it down with microfiber inside and out. Not a big deal and the airflow is wonderful. Max out the fans and get yourself an AIO with push pull. I love intel, but feel like they just need a lot of thermal headroom to operate stable. The AIO will keep the heat out of the inside of your case too so your GPU won’t be in any radiant nonsense.

That monitor is gorgeous! I’d keep it and spend the money on ram. Or, since you’re getting a GPU anyhow, LOAD UP on cheapie monitors. Make the SPACE. Turn 'em, tilt 'em, set a startup task to launch hardware monitor in the upper right screen so you can sip coffee and watch usage jump when you do stuff cuz that’s cool…

Hi, that’s for the input, but I don’t really think I’ll make much use of it.

All the data I have is backed up on Dropbox and also on my external HDD, no need for a NAS nor actual HDDs in my system, but I might get some for another purpose. Does ZFS provide some sort of RAID, or you mean that I should raid the drives and just use ZFS on them? Why ZFS? And how is Linux support for Intel’s RAID on Z370? On top of that I can’t even fit 3 drives in the Meshify C.

Why should I replace my existing, perfectly fine PSU for a model that’s just 100W stronger? It’s a gold PSU with 550W on 12V rail, it should handle what I have without a hiccup.

I’m planning on getting a 32GB 3200MHz kit anyway.

As far as I know, the front mesh pops out. An AiO in a work machine is a bad idea, since if it fails, then well, I’ll lose a few work days. This shit doesn’t happen with air coolers. I also don’t see any reason at all to get an expensive AiO over an air cooler, especially in the airflow-oriented Meshify C.

The problem with my monitor is that the colours are quite strange, which isn’t acceptable in my line of work. I’m also not a fan of the ultrawide - I prefer to have multiple 16:9 monitors. The colours are also the reason why I can’t get those cheap monitors - unless by cheap you mean 250 pound fHD ultrasharps, then yes, it’s a good option. I should have enough money for all this stuff by the end of the year.