What would be the best AMD build?

Just like the title I want to see what you awesome people would put together using the best AMD products. Really excited to see what you guys come up with.

1 Like

You should have made this thread about a year ago.

I am a huge AMD fan.
This is my Recommendation.
Best 1150 socket intel you can afford.
980 Ti

AMD is dying and it makes me very sad....

1 Like

I don't get it are you trying to be funny it's not at all. I said AMD not Intel and Nvidia. I don't care if AMD is dieing and I don't agree with that I will support them till they shut down because that's how we prevent that by supporting them.

2 Likes

I am not being funny.
Look at my system build. I have had the same philosophy for about 5 years.

The company has shown the consumer that they have no collective goal or direction for the company. The individual departments are working against each other causing an incomplete and unfinished feeling product.

I cannot and will not recommend and say any FX processor is a good Idea for a general gaming user workstation.

The chip has its strengths and they are in the server room as the FX is really a just repackaged boosted clock Opteron server CPU. If you want to build a cheap proxmox server to run VMs or you could drop some ECC memory in to a 990FX chipset. (unbuffered and check compatibility of course. ) run a Nice free NAS as there are lots of PCI-E lanes so lots of SATA and lots of Drives.

But for most user desktop driven applications it just cannot compete to even older i5 and up intel chips.

The R9 200 series was AMD looking to make a turnaround and they fell short with the R9 300 and Fury.

This is my current all AMD rig that is in my profile I am not trying to be funny at all.
FX-8320
Noctua NH-D14,
ASUS M5A99FX PRO,
16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz,
Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290 4GB,
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD,
64 GB ADATA SSD,
Ultra 4x 850W PSU

1 Like

probably an 8320, an adequate motherboard around around the 100-120 dollar whatever is the best heatsink around the 40 dollar price point and a single 280x or r9 390 for about the upper limit of almost worthwhile amd builds. for a really stupid build just grab a 9590, liquid cooling, a crosshair V formula z, and 2 or 3 fury x gpus. for actually worthwhile and somewhat balanced probably a fx6300 and a r9 380 based build.

I don't understand what was so hard about reading the op and then posting crap about intel.

It boots quickly, start a game, it boots quickly. Play the game. Guess what? The experience is the same.
The only thing that changes is artificial benchmarks and this weird fanboy my football team is better because I said so attitude.

For gaming and PC use. Nothing wrong with AMD. Even a FX 6300 is better than my old @920 and I can play any game I want on that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $159.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $34.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard (Purchased For $104.00)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $82.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $54.99)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (Purchased For $214.00)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $49.00)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $58.00)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $19.00)
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-30 00:58 EDT-0400

Built that one for my father in law not too long ago. It was about $774 Canadian. He plays Sniper Elite 3 and Hitman Absolution.

I would say grab a 9590 and good AIO water cooler and a couple 390x's. Be a pretty ripin machine.

Well I got the 8650 why is every one saying the R9 200 series aren't the R9 300 series better? So should I get a 390x or a Fury X?

And I don't care about AMD struggling trying to just have a fun discussion and your being a negative Nancy

Since there is no budget xD
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dPM7bv
CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($261.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme9 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($188.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($999.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($648.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($648.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($400.64 @ Amazon)
Total: $3578.56

2 Likes

@cooperman now that's a proper build I'm deciding between a fury x and 390x then will crossfire in February

LOL how do I lack reading comprehension. I posted several good amd builds for gaming, server, and Nas . I talked about the strengths and weaknesses of AMD cpus. It seems that people are upset I am stating true facts about the pitfalls of the current AMD products. I would say if anyone is being a shill it is the mindless defenders of AMD, and the ones who right off my comments as an NV Intel fan boy when 80% of the components I own are AMD.

1 Like

Fury X scales well in crossfire iirc.

The build by cooperman seems good to me, I would go with a 8350 and use a Thermaltake Level10 GT but thats just me being different.

lol i wouldn't buy it but he asked for the best of AMD >_> you can spend less on a i7 and 2 980ti's

what do you even mean by best?

like would you want a quad socket opteron?

Yes but opteron's are useless at gameing and 4 cpu's are not supported in windows (anless server ed) along with supermicro amd mobos haveing crap support for video cards (old legacy x16 slots)

The Supermicro H8QGL-iF does a great job with 4 Opterons, 512GB RAM and 2x W9100 at my workplace, however the price tag is different for that kind of machine.
Not sure if I would want to game on that thing, for work it struggels sometimes with workloads but hey! 3 Days 100% load happen from time to time. I would not want to try working with any "High-End" machine shown in a video on any tech channel out there.

Yeah that's what I have 8350 don't know why I was saying 8650 retard moment. I. Am just trying to have a fun conversation I don't give a shit about AMD struggling or Intel being cheaper in certain aspects. I mean when I started using AMD my power bill went up a $100 a month. I just don't like Intel because they gave money to support bills like cispa and I refuse to support them just like I'm sure everyone has forgot but I still won't shop at BP and get gas or anything because of that damn oil spill and how the handled it

And the question was in general gaming workstation server whatever you feel like talking about just AMD based.

Its a oldie but still AMD https://www.pugetsystems.com/featured/64-core-256GB-Workstation-100