What Win7 key did I use to activate Win10 with?

I had several Dreamspark keys of Win7 and Win8.1 lying around. You are allowed to use these for 2 machines.

So I used two keys to activate two Win10 virtual machines. However, when I used a key tool to find out what Win10 key I had for each VM, the key was identical. So I gather I must accidentally have used the same key twice?

So, is there any way to retrieve the original Win7 key I used from the Win10 installed OS? All the key tools I found just give you the Win10 key, which is of course different from the Win7 key.

I’d rather avoid experimenting and using the keys I have again, because I might deactivate the VMs OS’es, so I’d like to know which one(s) were used.

The upgrade applies a digital entitlement, which doesn’t use a product key. Only physical copies have product keys now. That’s why the key you extracted was identical. I don’t know any way to find out which key you used, but since the key isn’t stored in the OS anywhere, just use one of your existing win7/8.1 keys and don’t worry about it.

OK, thanks for clearing that up! I’ll trust my notes then on which keys I already used. My gratitude for the very quick response!

1 Like