What was your "gateway band" into metal?

Logan coined an interesting choice of words (at least i think it was Logan i've been drinking) in WASD mentioning his gateway band was In Flames, Mine was another Gothenburg band known as At the Gates specifically this song sparked my passion for melodic death metal and even more specifically after the 5 minute mark beyond blew me away it was something I never heard nor ever imagined.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWY0wJOCaxg

What got you guys into metal? what was your gateway band and do you still listen to them? I still avidly listen to At the gates 5 years after discovering them.

Dethklok was my first metal band, then into Amon Amarth. I still love Amon Amarth but dont really listen to Dethklok anymore.

Current favorites: Insomnium, Be'Lakor, Ne Obliviscaris, Crimson Shadows, and Visigoth

When I was a wee lad I wasn't allowed to listen to metal because it was the devil... however, I discovered an album with an interesting cover at the Christian Book Store and my mother allowed me to get it... It was Mortification: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVYh835kV9Q#t=104

After that I couldn't listen to Metallica or even Slayer. They were water.. Death Metal was beer. After getting sick of most of the mainstream stuff I started listening to bluegrass and folk... then several years later I typed a search into google: "American Metal Sucks". 

I ended up here: http://www.metal-observer.com/3.o/

I discovered In Flames, Insomnium, and Dark Tranquility..... then Amon Amarth. It was epic. After that I discovered black metal... even better. Finally I found folk and pagan metal. I was home.

2 Likes

I myself, grew up on Metal. My parents introduced me to Metal around the age of 6, i was shown,

• AC/DC
  • Quiet Riot
  • Black Sabbath
  • Billy Idol
  • Sisters of Mercy
  • Bauhaus
  • Megadeth

around 13 or 14, i went through a "Goth/Alternative" Lifestyle, I still do dress in this fashion even today, but not as bad as when i was younger.

but overall, what was the gateway or "The Bridge" for me to discover metal or to go look on my own were

• Disturbed - Voices

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0DwpEdoB1Q

• Linkin Park - One Step Closer

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmUTBDuUGz8

I discovered these two bands on my own. and to comment, these were only a miniscule list. I also enjoyed Static-X and Deftones. I believe Pistol had a Deftones poster in her room whilst she was streaming years ago lol,

Most of this was around middle school so around 14 or 15, Metal was my primary/preferred genre of music.

As i got into high school, I discovered Black Metal bands like,

• Cradle of Filth
  • Dimmu Borgir
  • Darkthrone
  • Burzum
  • Mayhem
  • Emperor

and so on, but probably during the middle of high school i started listening to Death Metal, but to this day I prefer Black Metal over Death Metal. but this is how it overall started for me. I may sound old, but I'm only 21 lol but Metal has been apart of me most of my life =]

Yeah Mortification was sick back in the day. My best mate when I was a teenager always had it playing in his room. For me my intro was probably Iron Maiden or Metallica as my older brother was right into them, so I'd sneak and make cassette copies for myself.

Now about the only metal I really have the patience for is still Maiden, Metallica and occasionally BLS.

Cool site that, the metal observer. Cheers.

Ugh, Mortification, they formed in my hometown (Melbourne, Australia).

Their vocalist/founding member contracted Leukemia, after extensive medical help went into remission then claimed "God" and his faith as what cured him. So the multitude of DOCTORS & SCIENCE had absolutely nothing to do with your remission, it's your "magical" invisible saviour in the sky

Twat

On topic, my cousin dubbed Iron Maidens Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son to tape. But my rampant Christian father was "Ahhhhh the Devil, in musical form". fast forward to High School were I snafued a copy of a certain debut by a band called Metallica called Kill 'em All.

Bay Area Thrash>German/European Thrash>90's Swedish Death Metal>Scandinavian Black Metal>English Grindcore>US Grindcore>Crust>Doom>Sludge>Drone

The above is my basic Metal Timeline

1 Like

King Diamond and maybe Death Angel( Not the new stuff. )

Just because you choose to rot in hell for eternity doesn't mean that you should hate on someone who doesn't.

Twat

My mother suddenly became a religious woman when I wandered from Ozzy Osbourne and Metallica into Slayer and started shouting I was listening to Satan's music etc. that was not fun to deal with but she finally let it go and I got into lamb of god then jumped from them to At the gates in search of something with more melody. Bands like Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility, Insomnium, and Kalmah were soon to follow. 

alright alright enough of this i didn't start this thread for a religion war let's just leave it be

I grew up with Lynryd Skynryd, 38 Special, and other classic rock from my dad my mom listened to a bit of everything but she got me into Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne when I was fairly young.

Shadows Fall and Dream Theater got me into the metal bands even tho they are technically not metal bands

After that I couldn't listen to Metallica or even Slayer. They were water.. Death Metal was beer.

This haha

I don't know which this speaks more to, his love of metal or his alcoholism. lmao i'm kidding of course.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QyYaPWasos

For me it wasn't a specific band. I started to like certain metal songs when I was about 10 playing Tony Hawk's and Need For Speed games. The genre has kind of grown on me throughout my teens.

I didn't have a gateway as such, it was more of a slap in the face. My friend showed me a video of a Gorgoroth live show, this one I think: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv4tEUqKAeI I went home and bought Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt from there I got into Powerwolf and Mastodon and now the only non metal bands I listen to are Marilyn Manson and some obscure dubstep which is what I listened to the most before I got into metal.

Seeing all the metal hype on Teksyndicate got me interested so I started listening to Metallica, then Logan made some post listing his favorite metal bands and I randomly chose one from the list... Klabautamann. I can't stop listening to them now lol.

Dragonforce - through the fire and flames was my metal band gateway

My gateway metal band was megadeth. i still love their old shit. i then started my short deathmetal phase with morbid angel and death then went to black metal where i remain today. i kind of just listen to alot of the shit i gathered in the late 2000s. i havent been exploring the underground bm scene since 2013.

My top 10 METAL bands of all time.

• 1. GWAR
  • 2.Nyktalgia
  • 3.Hakuja
  • 4.Irrwisch
  • 5.propast
  • 6.Oubliette
  • 7.morbid angel
  • 8.death
  • 9.Blckwvs <--great band highly recommended 
  • 10.megadeth