What was your first case mod? Your next?

I didn't know I was making a mod, but I guess this qualifies.
In 1993 I made a sort of AMIGA NAS in a desk.

I had an Amiga 1200 with an upgraded 68020 and more RAM.
It required a bigger power supply that was almost the same as a PC-AT PSU.

When I bought a 20MB SCSI hard drive, I got to modding.
I was using an IKEA typewriter desk. It was about 3 feet wide with plywood sides, back, a knee shelf and had caster wheels. I bought a dead IBM PC, the 1st one, and gutted it for the case. I mounted the Amiga PSU, Amiga SCSI controller, SCSI HD and floppy drive in the IBM case. The Amiga expansion port was on the left side of the keyboard/case. The SCSI drive I had was supposed to pop onto the side of the Amiga. I took it apart for the controller and got an Amiga extension ribbon cable. I screwed the PC to the left side of the IKEA desk. I ran the SCSI ribbon out from the side of the PC, up the desk and bent it into the Amiga.

Next Stoopid Mod

My girl friend has a lame Lenovo M58 that I am upgrading with a Geforce 730 and 4GB RAM.

The Industrial Design of the compact case is very nice and it's not a bad PC as long as you never upgrade it. The PSU is only 280W and can't be changed. The PCI slots are backwards to normal motherboards and most 2-slot GPU's wont fit.

I got the diabolical thought I could build a mini ITX system in the case. I want to do it but only if she helps pay for it. The stock 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo is fast enough for her, but the lack of 4-cores and a GPU make me nuts. Putting $400 of new parts in an old $100 computer just re-use the hard-to-work-in but beautiful case doesn't seem to make sense, but that is why I plan carefully.

Parts:
Intel Core i3-4170 Dual-Core 3.7 GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor
ASRock H81M-ITX/WIFI LGA 1150 Intel Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 Memory
MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card
EVGA 500W 80 PLUS Power Supply

Mod Planning:
The main issue with the Lenovo case is the power supply. It is currently where the GPU has to go. And the rear I/O has the PCI slots on the left with the PSU on the right. I would have to leave the new PSU outside the case and run the cables in through the 2 card slot openings.

To mount the GPU I would remove the card slot bracket so it could fit behind the old PSU grille. Somehow I would secure the card to the grille. There is a serial port knockout in the case on the right. I would run the new GPU's VGA ribbon cable over to the serial hole.

What was your 1st mod?
. What was your favorite mod?
. . What will you mod next?

The 1st would be installing magnetic filters on my Arc Midi R2. Next up is a custom side panel window after I get my custom loop going.

As an Arc Midi R2 owner I'd like to know, where are you going to install magnetic filters on that case, since it's entirely dust proof?
My first idea was to paint the front and roof meshes of the Midi R2, but then I decided not to... So I haven't done anything. To afraid to do whatever and then not like it and having to change it back...

Well its dust proof now lol. The OEM filters on the Arc Midi R2 restrict WAY too much air and are not feasible to clean or replace.

2 Likes

Heres a better pic, when the filter was new (clean).

2 Likes

Modded a floppy drive cage to hold a HDD.

1 Like

The IBM case had 2 double height [5" x 2h] floppy bays. One was blanked and I put the SCSI drive in the bottom of the other. Sat the 3" Amiga external floppy on a shelf over HD.

This is my current system, 1 year old this week. I wouldn't really call it a mod, but I made a way to replace the entire side panel of my be quiet! Silent Base 800 case with a thick sheet of tempered glass. I use my PC on its side and the glass must support my monitor.

does a mac case count?

current case
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/11-353-078-Z07?$S1280$
Next case
Hoping for a phantom 410. If I can find it on sale.