What Viable Alternatives are there to YouTube?

Would you be willing to pay for an alternative?

What do you think would work for Level1? (since we’re here so why not :P)

Floatplane is startup. Interesting to see if they make it work. I wish them the best.

Don’t worry, I’m going to do my homework.

Veetle was my fav to date… People understood sci-fi collections.

There are no laws saying that you would have to screen posts before they are published. However, if you are held responsible for the content on your site that would be the best way to protect yourself.

Honestly none really.

Although a PeerTube can be an alternative to share video if you plan on doing it on your own hardware but that’s a decentralized, federated platform vs YouTube being centralized…

Level1 is one of the organizations that it could work for. One reason: It’s their side hustle.

It seems (if memory serves) that they’re not reliant at all on this revenue for living.

The problem is that Youtube is one of the better places to grow your audience.

As far as I’m aware, with very few exceptions you are not responsible for the content others post to your site. Only in the case that you are made aware of content which break some law. (i may be wrong, I’m just not aware of any. Otherwise the liability would be so high, I’d quit as a mod here just so I couldn’t be accused of breaking some law for not deleting a post regardless that I’m not “staff”

But… I will not say much more about Veetle because its dead and two where it can from. :slight_smile:

See below first… but, you have to look at the issue holistically about where the law is trending regarding regulation around content. Imagine TV now, watersheds, ratings and all that jazz and even though it’s an almost incompatible fit that is where the net is going, mainstream platform or not, imo. In lamens terms any platform that doesn’t conform could be on the wrong side of the law and the users might be by extension too, so the alternative that (")just works(") have already been listed. But that doesn’t answer your main OP really.

As you said this is a separate discussion and il leave my opinions at what i have already added and bow out now. As politics are not allowed an alternate thread on policy would be skirting those rules and some would not be able to help themselves from separating policy with ideology. A dumpster fire would possibly ensue.

good thread though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Atm I feel that it doesnt matter what the site is, and you just need to share it over Twatter

YouTube is that shit, and that althogrim is dialing worse, and I’m not even concerned about takedowns really, its that damn false title reupload cancer shit whats plaguing my content
AND, YouTube itself is enforcing certain channels while hiding the others

Tech policy is fine. the issue seems to mainly be when people start bashing their fav politician and can’t have a civil debate :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you done any google searches on old topics you are familiar with lately ?

Stay on topic… Alternatives to Youtube.

I dont know what you mean or are after

I’m searching for whatever is timingly to search for :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }

Well, seeing as how
this is my main form of entertainment (online YT and Vimeo as well as
similar content distribution), yeah I’d probably pay for it. BUT,
not an amazing amount. The contrast from going from free to paid
would need to be a patreon sorta deal. A per month, or 3 month,
rotational payment would be best to me. I’m not going to
pay-per-view or per rental period. Thats a pain in the ass. But if
the viewer base is going to run with this as well, 1 or 2 bucks to
start for just video access, maybe 5 per day?, would be perfect for
me. And then higher payments or pledges gets more videos. Then more
people either pay for more content via one producer, or pay many
producers for similar content. With the added benefit of not being
sat down for 7 hours after work or school. Beneficial for everyone
in a lot of different ways. Can integrate merch and still advertise,
of course.

As for L1 tech, and
even other creators on the net, for now? Dealing with YT for the
moment is tolerable. But in 6 months I’d like to see more people
looking towards peertube. Colleges have started using it, blender,
jupiter broadcasting, a french news network… The landscape is open
there.

Similarly, I think
floatplane should also be considered. If not for daily use, for
building a base up for a whole new way for creators to build content
networks.

Edit: Everyone say to the developer PPC build of libreoffice at line 1!

There are liabilities involved. Defamation and incitement to violence is illegal. You also have illegal content that is a crime to see and distribute. They are pretty clear and solid. Knowing you, you would pull it down. Alex Jones is being sued on several fronts for defamation. I believe the real reason that Apple, Google, Facebook and Spotify pulled them down was because they were afraid that he would be sued successfully and they would be next. I don’t know if the plaintiffs would win, but the publicity would be incredibly damaging.

Let’s get back on topic. I personally believe that the structure of Youtube is flawed. I’m afraid that if a new site pops up it will have the same problems. I just don’t think that these huge social sites are sustainable long term. I read the response to my Discord comment. I didn’t mean Discord specifically. I was using that as a decentralized and more maintainable format.

As far as I am concerned Youtube allowed monetization of content before they were ready. If these other sites want to replace it they will have to do the same because content creators will expect it. Will they be able to handle this? I have my doubts.

1 Like

https://framatube.org/

Is this PeerTube’s main page or do I really have to check all of these sites, like some Keating Tube? :smiley:

1 Like

Well theres no “main
site”, though that would be convenient. Theres a peertube search.
On my powerbook right now so I don’t wanna bother opening that
(building some code atm, need the CPU time) but it might be. The
idea of peertube is that you integrate it with your site. You can
edit the interface and everything to match what you want it to look
like compared to everything else.

Maybe ? You are not that old.