What Viable Alternatives are there to YouTube?

Both or either. In reality they need to abide by one thing, the law.

I don’t necessarily think there is a one size fits all.

PeerTube for example is fairly open in that you can host your own instance and federated to the sites you choose to, so can exclude sites which are outside your acceptable content (maybe you want to list most things, but not pron for example).

Vimeo is viable, and seemingly profitable, but has fairly clear content guidelines from the get go. I also don’t see anything wrong with that, they are I think a good alternative.

bitchute is centralised in management but decentralised in bandwidth. They have a seemingly lax policy on content, in reality they could keep it that way so long as they abide by the law.

Bitchute could hit all three, I don’t think I contradicted anything. They could be a viable alternative.

Dtube’s UI looks good, but the interface is god-awful slow and has no notification that something is “loading” so it frustrates me to hell and back.

Looks like another option, but how are they handling CDN/hosting?

Most of mainstream is dumpster level ? Did you not think some it would not carry over ? Minds is a dumpster fire at the social surface level and has excellent interest based communities.

Why are there “$” signs next to videos?

I think there’s some sort of crypto scam involved.

Crypto incentive

D.Tube aims to become an alternative to YouTube that allows you to watch or upload videos on IPFS and share or comment about it on the immutable STEEM Blockchain, while earning cryptocurrency doing it.

So basically, let’s throw everything in blockchain. That will get us investors!

1 Like

Not until the things i mention are met ( imo of course ). Lets not underestimate the total war on the traditional internet right now by the old guard established media outlets they have the money, power and political pull behind it all.

anyways… Il give you one example … my ISP throttles P2P it means that im not going to be getting fullHD 60FPS torrent videos from bitchute. Furthermore, i have noticed that these sites in general are actually stalling out my connection… it’s almost as if there on a list already.

The law needs to change or the free net is dead. No platform can survive without the beedy eye of the politically correct brigade breathing down their necks forcing ISP’s and DNS providers to pull or throttle sites.

I believe the main problem with Youtube and Facebook is that they got too big and and completely unmanageable. The sheer amount of content can’t be overseen by employees and the algorithm technology simply isn’t there.I think in order to comply with the law you would have to view each video before posting. That would kill any site. I know I’m presenting problems without solutions but I really don;t have any.

These companies really aren’t doing themselves favors by saying that they don’t wish to censor. The problem with Youtube was that they were applying a double standard when it came to the likes of Alex Jones. They would let him slide for years because he had a mass audience while others doing the same were pulled. The message that they sent was if you were big enough you could get away with anything. That’s a terrible message to send.

I just don’t see these huge monolithic sites being viable in the future. I see it decentralizing with Discord being a good example.

1 Like

A little put off. That is part of it. There is Steem it :slight_smile: I can not bare it.

yea might want to rain check Dtube then. It’s just one that fits the ‘looks nice’ part of the equation.

Imagine the money wendell could make if he switched to dtube.

1 Like

Peertube for one.

For two, this has happened before and we got sites like cinemassacre or thatguywiththeglasses. I think using peertube we should go back to that. Youtube, at this point, is just comcast with a different face. Or a t and t, or whatnot in other places.

We just need to not use them for our sorts of content anymore.

Another episode of the h3h3 podcast was with bo burnham and they talked about this. When yt removed people for advertisers in 2007/2008, removing avgn and similar channels, people split off. Since then the idea of a wild west has died.

While 99 percent of youtube isn’t actually watched, a lot of it can be muted or whatnot. It used to be shane dawson, bo burnham, yogscast, music creators, game designers, any random shit that got traction was in the featured ol trending list. Now its either obscure meme’s, or jimmy kimmel, or apple advertisements, etc. Its just cable tv.

How to fix? Leave youtube. Not until they fix their shit, but for good. Content needs to thin out. Quoting the h3 episode again, yutube is more skewed to what public media shows. Blog kind of videos. Hey guys, look at my face while I explain some stupid shit to you. So rather than finding my code classes ai used to do in the time I had loose, I find people with their faces on a shitty fisheye lense talking about the differences in python and go. And the content thats at the top isn’t good, either.

Just burn it down. When no one is there anymore because peertube has a better search and quality, or other platforms like floatplane get completed, who’s going to care. No one is too big to fall, and I think people are going to get sick of the bs and leave for their own sites. Its just going to happen.

1 Like

I do not even watch youtube anymore…except for here and Hooktube.

1 Like

Torrent based video definitely has its issues, I don’t disagree. It’s why I list Vimeo in this discussion. Vimeo is a good (arguably) traditional video site with it’s own potential issues around content. PeerTube also has its issues around limits on user accessibility from a sheer technical issue around torrents.

I don’t disagree that some countries have ISP issues either, that’s a larger discussion I think though worthy of it’s own thread.

I’m not suggestion that there is a replacement right this second, but want to find out what options there are for systems that are viable, and can become a first class competitor.

I don’t. Discord (not opensource) for instance might have the ability to set private hosted servers (does it ?) but in the main people are going to flock the most stable and reliable servers which will be the larger providers.

Now, if there is a client that is genuinely secure and hard to take down from the get go THAT would work up until the powers that be decided to lean in… if they could at all.

Think about Telegram and its PFS encryption and how the Russians removed something like 2million IP’s related to it and had it banned. Again, it’s policy over technology or bust. imo.

1 Like

Let me point out that you are getting off track… We need alternatives…
Bring something to table that we have not seen before ?

Im not aware the law requires them to do anything like that. the new potential EU law requires some technical capabilities in place for larger sites but no requirement to review a video unless asked to. In the case of the recent discussion on the other thread, I’m not aware an law was broken, just YouTubes T&S according to YouTube, and faulty algotyhms on their site.

Managing their automated systems they seem to not bother to do on the other hand.

So the question being, are there good alternatives? PeerTube for example eliminates the to large problem because it’s federated.

I’m going to make a thread later to chat about alternative SMS platforms. Telegram is not what you think it is.

2 Likes

My point is going back to separate sites or new alt. platforms. So if cinemassacre came out today it wouldn’t use a cdn from somewhere or host on yt, it’d probably use peertube or similar services.

Floatplane is a good step too, though probably just a starting place.

Nice. Looking forward to it.

Don’t forget to read up on Matrix :wink:

1 Like