What Viable Alternatives are there to YouTube?

Hmmm, interesting. I’ll have to give it a look.

I agree. The normies have spoken and want centralized. We need to provide something that at least has a single interface/url.

The only problem I can see with bitchute is it looks like crap. It also looks like they may not be hitting their funding targets.

Yeah, but prior to AJ hitting bitchute, their numbers were smaller than ours.

You need to give them time to ramp, and then, you’ll be able to witness the power of this fully decentralized video streaming platform.

I have a list of tracking for such a thing … but somethings are impossible to recommend due to technical skills needed. That is not a way to increase use. Things have to be refined to a point where anyone can use them. Bitshute is the only thing perused that even comes close.

I do have a bias… I have been using Bitshute from the beginning. I do not think it is perfect… but I do think it is better then Censorship driven platforms.

I am on Minds also for social networking. Same thing applies. The old guard is about to change whether they like it or not.

There’s no reason a decentralized federated system can’t have a “central” landing place. That’s the point of the federation part. So PeerTube for example could have had their own instance, recognisable branding, ease of use, access to all joined federated systems. While still having separate decentralised federation.

Doesn’t seem like they’ve done this though.

I wonder if Peertube could get there though. PeerTube looks like it could use a good frontend that federates to actual servers that host the content.

Played with it but it has been a little while. I was unimpressed but it has potential. They will have to hurry up to get to where Bitchute is now… Not so much what is the best as it is … who is in the position to do so.

This seems to be the best example instance

https://framatube.org/videos/trending

properly federated.

bitchute also seems to have loading and quality issues I’ve noticed compared to peertube, it also crashed the tab 5 minutes ago :confused:

The centralised part of it does potentially make it a bit more accessible to both users and producers.

1 Like

You can’t expect a new, underfunded decentralized startup platform to look like youtube from such an early inception phase. That’s the exact mindset of a ‘normie’ as @SgtAwesomesauce put it.

You compromise, use and support the platform in order for it to improve just like GNU/Linux. Otherwise just go back to the ‘normie’ platforms.

btw with the night mode i didn’t think bitchute looked that bad.

Yes… same sort of issues…scale is everything.

Compared to PeerTube for example… It still looks like crap. It’s just an opinion, but something that has to be thought about if you want to compete.

It comes back down to my first post: what do you define as viable. There are different demographics at play here. Are you trying to attract the masses for instance or just provide a platform that can work relatively well enough.

The bar of entry will change dependent on the user group.

Is it scale? It seems like they don’t support higher resolutions, or any other than what you get? I’m comparing a currently popular bitchute video with 17 peers to a PeerTube one with one peer. peertubes tech seems so simply be faster, has a smaller buffer time and options for quality.

Being realistic you have to. Its viable alternatives to youtube. If you wanted to just run some videos you can, we’ve got lots of options.

in which case there is nothing that can touch Youtube. Twitch would be closest possible competitor but they also have very strict rules on content.
you can’t show your feet on stream for instance or you get banned. Because it is defined as sexual.

That’s really the only thing that makes me sway towards bitchute. I’d probably run my own Peertube instance, but I don’t know how well it’s going to take off…

Damn. :frowning:

/s

In a world… Where showing your feet is considered fan service.

Blender started using them ? Is that right. I am all for a faster better. I care about resolutions :slight_smile: I am not dismissing your opinion. Just are not as far forward as… would be the correct phrasing.

1 Like

Given your requirement for mass adoption, slick user interface and a need for almost unbridled lack of censorship:

You have to address the issue at a political level first.

imo.

I think they’re moving forward in different regards. Looks like the stability, streamlined-ness, and polish on Peertube is much better than Bitchute, but bitchute has the one-stop-shop down.

What Peertube really needs is a “global registry” that’s got an opt-in option in your instance settings. Click a button, get added to the registry, and the registry has a frontend that the normies use to browse.

And, to cover hosting costs of it, the registry shows ads on any videos from your instance.

1 Like