What version of Linux and why

Luna is now officially freya btw : D !!!!

1 Like

just grabbed ubuntu-gnome-14.10-desktop-amd64.iso
fuck me
i just realized that said amd 64
ok upon further review it says
PC 64 bit

64 bit version for Intel or AMD computers.
(edited 5 times now)

im going to try this on a usb over my old laptop to play on it
to use this on my desktop i may need a new cpu for hardware passthrough i5-2500k no (VT-d)

I'm not switching to Linux because Logan or Wendell said its amazing. I want to switch because of the videos they showed and I liked what they showed, i am just not sure what I should go with thats why im trying to get some tips.

Is there a guide how i can do that because that seems amazing

amd64 is for every chip. It called like that because AMD invented the 64-bit architecture (ISA to be technical https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_set) and named it after themselves.

Oh and for a closer to windows aesthetics i would try Mint, Zorin or everyhting with XFCE.

You just have to install the GUI environment of choice in Ubuntu and you are done. You can then choose which on you want from the login screen. There are a bunch of guides on how to install one in ubuntu. If you google it you will find one. And i am quite sure there is one here in the tutorial section.

hell im still trying to find a spair fucking usb stick...

You can try with virtual box at first to get the hang of it and not care about any mistakes.

I would suggest LTS for anybody who wants good stability on *buntu... asterix is for your environment type.. personally I use the i3 WM with KDE.. its very nice. and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS is very polished :D

All of those different versions are just different Desktop Environments (fancy word for different interfaces) they are mostly personal preference, therefore, the only way to know which one you want is to look at pictures or videos of them being used, or even better, try them out yourself. no matter which one you choose, it is still Linux, and you will still gain all the benefit from using Linux. and asking this question will get you a lot of different answers, and start a lot of flame wars. picking your desktop environment is like picking your browser.

but anyway here is a breakdown of each one

KDE - very customisable, comes with lots of useful tools, but it relatively more resources than some of the others ( just my experience). and in my opinion, ugly out of the box

Unity - designed to be useful with touch screens, i personally feel lost using it. not sure about resources because i never used it.

GNOME3 - i like it, but it wouldn’t be my top pick, resource wise i think a little less than KDE

MATE3 - not actually gnome 2 but based off of gnome 2, it looks like its from the 90s out of the box, but it uses less resources than most others, i don't think it's very customisable, I don't use it very much.

XFCE - my favourite of the ones listed, it uses the least resources, and even though it doesn't look to good out of the box, you get a lot of customisability ( i don't think as much as KDE though ).

Now i don't use Ubuntu, but Ubuntu likes to change the way they look out of the box, but it is essentially still the same thing, which one you use is a matter of personal preference, go try them all and have fun!

P.S. Usually you are able to install multiple DEs after you install the OS, and then you can select which one you use at login.

but the problem is that they never really showed you a distrobution. They showed you a desktop environment.

You can make fedora, opensuse, arch, mangeia, or vanilla debian look and feel exactly the same.

Wendell kind of sort of showed you what package managers were, and kind of eluded to some other features of certain distros, but he has yet to fully dive into what separates one core distro from another (although I am sure it is coming eventually).

As for installing different desktop environments onto various distros, it is really simple.

Lets say you decide to install plain vanilla ubuntu. Now its been a long time since I have played with ubutnu, but I believe with KDE and Gnome all you have to do is go to a terminal and type

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Someone can correct me if I am wrong. If you want to install a desktop environment that is not officially supported like pantheon, then all you would have to do is go to the pantheon website and add the PPA to ubuntu and then type what ever command that website gives you.

Its the same with debian, and with arch it is just as easy except there are a few more steps, and with opensuse is is stupid simple because all you have to do is use the 1 click install to install what ever DE you like minus pantheon and unity.