What updates should I avoid?

I have a trial copy of Enterprise LTSB and I don't see an option to turn off the updates.

This is a screenshot from my VM:

MAYBE they mean if you are running WSUS and use GROUP POLICY to tell the computer "get updates from WSUS server not from Microsoft"
~FYI (if you don't already know) WSUS is a server setup to have centralized control over update deployment.. so basically you choose what updates you want for your organization in one place

I really want to just have two SSDs. One for linux, one for Windows. Too bad that my motherboard only has 4 sata ports (mini ITX) and I can't afford a new mobo or another SSD anyway. One day I will have the time and the money. It keeps looking like it is going to be Zen before I upgrade any part of my pc though, unfortunately.

yeah that sucks

What you are talking about is like torrenting.
It's a setting in Win 10 updates to download the updates from other computers instead of Microsoft.

Now, in an organization, you can run a WSUS server, which downloads the updates to that server (if that particular setting is on), then the computers download the updates from that server.

That sounds about like what I was talking about.

Anyway, I really don't trust software with this sort of thing built in. If it can be turned on, then who is to say that it isn't turned on? Sure an off button is a really nice pacifier, but that doesn't mean that it actually turned it off. I just can't put my trust in a company that does things like this.

1 Like

I do have an Enterprise iso laying arround.
Need trow it in a vm and play arround with it someday.
But havenĀ“t realy had the time for it to do so.

1 Like

I picked Windows for gaming, and just used it for everything else because it is easier than dealing with two OSs. It sucks that this is the way things are. I am really hoping for Vulkan and Steam to change things.

1 Like

Really add competition to the mix! Maybe it will make Microsoft change something.
I saw Logan say in the Tek that version 2 of Windows 10 threshold 2 (that's a mouthful) keeps your privacy settings turned on after installing updates & rebooting.
Barnacules was saying in a video that if you change all the privacy settings in Windows 10, install updates, and reboot, it changes the settings back.
Microsoft fixing this (keeping your preferences) is them basically admitting "oops lol I'm caught"

Yeah i will
i have plenty of Linux vm's on a HDD, there probably is some space left for a windows 10 ED.

Barnacules is exaly an ex microsoft employee.

Anyone have a more up to date list of updates to avoid ?

I would only install security updates and get drivers for manufactures websites if you want to try and avoid windows 10.
but even then theres not really much I use windows update for as most trustworthy antivirus like malware bytes will be enough to keep you safe online.

I've upgrade to windows 10 and other than the hassle of removing all the spyware its a decent operating system with some performance improvements in games and other applications.

Microsoft can call anything (telemetry or W10 nonsense) a "security update". After all, the most secure OS is the newest one, right? That means you have to move up to W10 asap.

honestly I dont really care if Microsoft can access my windows pc because all I use windows for is gaming and some recording and everything else gets done on my linux machine. the only accounts I have on my windows machine are steam,origin, league of legends and battle.net. but if you are super paranoid like edward snowden then you shouldn't be connecting your pc to the internet xD

So very useful and insightful.

Does anyone else have anything actually productive to input? I am still looking for an up to date list of Windows 7 updates to avoid.

Just get Never10 and don't worry about it.

That is useful for avoiding Windows 10, but doesn't help with concerns about telemetry.

Monitor the traffic from your PC and block those IP's on your router or firewall.
Your compe micht be bugged, but if the bug can't contact anyone its useless.