What to look for when buying a switch?

And what to avoid?
I’m buying an inexpensive switch, 8 ports pref., I’ll be using it with a pair of raspberries and my own pc. I will be adding stuff to the network later, though.

But instead of asking for a direct recommendation (I won’t mind it though), I want to ask what I should watch out for and look at when I’m buying a switch. I want to learn what specifically is useful and what isn’t and learn the hardware.
Thank you!

1 Like

Honestly with pie’s at the other end any gigagbit switch is fine. I like the metal netgear unmanaged ones.

1 Like

Yeah switches aren’t rocket sience anymore so there are loads of good enough ones. I’d look for one with a metal casing so that heat is dispersed when it’s being put to use. Like TP-Link’s TL-SG108 for instance, I’ve seen loads of those do their work just fine with all ports filled.

You’re better off finding any gigabit switch, and you can just get the inexpensive unmanaged ones, or if you’re planning to add VLANs or looking into securing your LAN tighter, there are decent managed switches that won’t take up a lot of footprint, like the rack-mounted ones.

3 Likes