What to look for in a monitor

I have an older monitor for a few years ago, but am looking into getting a 120Hz monitor since my new computer will definitely be able to run over 60 FPS on most games anyways. What else should I look for in a good gaming monitor. Any recommended monitors?

Only problem with high refresh rate displays are the TN panels, IPS is way better for daily use

$250 1080p 144hz TN Free-sync
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/aoc-monitor-g2460pf

You could also buy an IPS 1440p display for the price of the 144hz display

and you're better off paying the extra for free-sync as it's only $20-30
more for way smoother gameplay if you have a newer AMD card, or if
Nvidia decides to care about freedom

$230 for non free-sync 1080p 144hz
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umfg6aab01

What is Free sync? is it anything like gsync or vsync? I honestly have no idea what i'm saying. I tried looking stuff up online, but still am fairly confused by it.

V Sync synchronizes the refresh rates of the monitor and GPU, theoretically making the game have a more fluid, smooth visual experience. The problem is that V Sync locks to a certain refresh rate (60 FPS for example), meaning that if the graphics card is putting out frames at a rate different than the monitor's refresh rate, things can end up looking delayed and even jittery in some cases. Continuing with the 60 FPS Vsync example, the only frame rates that will end up working perfectly with that rate would be rates like 120, 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, and 10 FPS, all rates that are easily divisible by 60 or a quotient of 60 divided by some number.

Free Sync and G Sync are variants of Adaptive V Sync, where rather than adapting the GPU's refresh rate to the monitor, they adapt the monitor's refresh rate to the GPU. This allows the two to synchronize over a much larger range, and they can do it on the fly. In theory Free Sync and G Sync should make a game look buttery smooth no matter what happens.

However, Free Sync is generally considered AMD's territory and G Sync is purely nVidia's territory. As the name implies, Free Sync is actually royalty free for anyone to use and does not require any goofy modules because it's based of the Display Port specifications. G Sync on the other hand is proprietary to nVidia and the G Sync capable monitors have to have a G Sync module in them purchased solely from nVidia.

EDIT: TL;DR, FreeSync > GSync > VSync. However, if you have an Nvidia card you can't use FreeSync, and if you have an AMD card you can't use GSync. Both companies can use VSync.

1 Like