What to learn for Unity / School Project Ideas

Hello friends,

I am in school for computer science with a focus in programming. I have to do a project this summer that needs to eat time up from now to the end of July. The languages I know the syntax of pretty well and feel comfortable working with are C++, java, visual basic and HTML CSS and JavaScript (for the most part has been awhile since I have used JavaScript)

The first idea I have had is to make a game in Unity a 2d platformer (or maybe a procedurally generated rogue-lite/like no idea how hard that would be.) The problem with this idea is I have not used Unity or much C#. How hard would this be to do, I like the idea I have a lot of time to work on it, i have no job and nothing other than this to work on really. This may just be a dream.

If you think the above would be really hard, or have your own ideas let me know, there really isn't a limit to the project and not a lot of qualifications to it. It just has to last me a few months of work. Hypothetical problems to solve or real problems. I am not sure how my instructor would feel about helping with open source projects ( or what project I could help with).

My last two ideas I one is simple. Make a website for myself, I am going to any way for photography and a blog with social media interrogations. I know my instructor will accept it. This is my back up if I can't find somethings else I would like to do. The other idea I don't think will be acceptable, but I am not really sure is to make a BadUsb like the bash bunny and write my own scripts for it. The bigger part would need to be the scripts not the hardware it's self and I am not really sure how long that would take. It may take a week and then leave me with a crap grade since no progress could be made, also I have to take it to a college campus, and that would most likely break a lot of rules (endless my instructor approved it I guess.)

2 Likes

If you want to make a game, and already comfortable in C++, you can try Unreal Engine 4, it's free now (Free to use, with access to source code; 5% of gross revenue after the first US$3,000 per product per quarter)

You can always write your own little engine in C++/ OpenGL

About Unity, since you say you know C++ and Java, C# should be pretty easy to pick up. Unity reference is pretty good, so if you wanna go that route, it shouldn't be too hard. Unity is very flexible, and I can recommend it coz I personally used it. (unlike with UE4, which I just tried a bit)

I am not extremely good at programming, I thought it would be a good way to learn a lot. How hard would it be to make something that is procedurally generated, it is thrown around a lot now days is it that hard, a Binding of Issac type of game. I have watched a good bit of a Youtuber named Quill18 and he uses Unity quite a bit, I have picked up a good amount from him, i have 2 weeks before I have to start on it. I think I could learn the syntax for C# in that time and learn my way around unity a bit. I know it can be done , but would it be reasonable to think I could make a working game in 2-3 months? Starting pretty much fresh. If not I know I can do a website with out a problem, since my grade depends on it I may go with what I know if it is to sketchy

What exactly do you want to make? Procedural generation is quite wide topic. You can make it very complex, or very light just changing things a bit.

Also Quil18Creates is great channel :wink:

I got the assignment today, I am not sure what i am going to quite yet as far as the game. After thinking about my first idea is seemed to be a rip off of Flinthook. So I think I am going to need to think about it more. Thanks for the infromation