What to do with old RIG

First a shout out to a Tek Syndicate and it's community.

It was this site that inspired me to start having a crack at building PC's. Firstly I started with my son's rig

- a modest 3570k with a 6870 GPU.

Then I built mine and the specs are as follows;

Processor: AMD FX - 8350

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

RAM: 16g 1600 Patriot Viper

Graphics card: ASUS Radeon HD 7950   

Hard drive(s): 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

PSU: 800 Watt Thermaltake

Case: Coolermaster scout

Monitor: ACER 24"

Now as I have what seems to be the bug. I need a new project, and I was thinking of not letting my old rig go to waste if I can help it.

My old rig specs are as follows;

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 8450 Triple-Core Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4

RAM: 4094 MB (1066 MHz)

Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Hard drive(s): 1000GB ST31000528AS ATA Device

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)

I was wanting some ideas as to what to do with this, maybe try and sqeeze it into a small case and have it as a portable pc or something else.

Once again thanking you all in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Personally id make it a HomeServer, just add a few HardDrives and use another OS

I'm with beyond. Turn it into a home server. Allows you to free up space on your other PCs, and you can also use the old PC as a media box for recording TV shows and the like. I have been thinking about doing exactly that with my old Phenom II x2 build after I finish with my new FX-8320 OC build.

1TB ATA? How much did that cost. And yes, turning it into a home server is a good idea. Install a program such as FileZilla and use it as a file server or record TV shows with it.

Definitely a file server. Maybe DNS redirect your domain name and host it on there - lots of options. The only real use you will get out of it is going to be network related.

Maybe use it as a 24/7 bitcoin mining machine.

if you play minecraft or another game make it into a 24/7 game server