What to do with a dead korean monitor?

so today my korean QNIX 1440p IPS display didnt power on. the power supply LED blinks when connected, but is constant when removed, and a quick google indicates this is probably dead power circuitry inside the display. can i get this repaired for less than the cost of a new display, or should i get shopping for something new and fancy?

You mean something is broken in the panel or in the controller? If it’s the controller dead you can try to buy a new one.

He said it’s a power supply issue. It shouldn’t be all that expensive to repair honestly, but that depends on what’s broken.
You can open it up and check for any visual signs, such as bloated capacitors or something…

1 Like

i lack the knowledge and skill to attempt any board repairs, also i think this thing just clasps together and those little plastic claps and i dont get along.

You’ll never learn if you don’t try.

1 Like

im not trying with my ÂŁ200 monitor when i aint sure if i can afford to replace it, and i aint sure i can fix it. id sooner pay a professional.

Worst case scenario - you will use it as art project - a picture frame or something…
Before you know what the problem is you will never know how much it will cost fixing it.
So you can just take it to a repair shop or something and ask them to take a look and tell you how much it will cost repairing it. They may ask you for some money to do that, but at least you will know if it is worth repairing or not.

1 Like

I don’t think it is worth paying a professional for a £200 monitor

thats the thing, i dont know how much it would cost. if its less than the cost of replacement, ill take it.

1 Like

so i called up a company to inquire about price, and theyre saying ÂŁ40 and done in a couple of days. for that price i cant complain.

1 Like

Have they seen it? If they just consult you on the phone - I’m not really sure about the results. What if the issue is elsewhere?

2 Likes

they say theyve had similar issues with different displays in the last couple of days, and every time its a dead cap. i dont even have a soldering iron to replace the cap with, let alone one that would be good enough for me to not fuck it up.

1 Like