What to do? Upgrade needed!

Yes, I'm very curious with what it coming in this future, let's see if AMD would put Intel competitive, we would all benefit with that! But I think that probably is cheaper to upgrade my rig that sell it (I would not make much money) and build a new system...

Yes, that my understanding and my goal in a near future, upgrade it to an i5...

Yeah and basicly if you upgrade to an i5, then you have more then enough cpu horse power to run something like RX480 or GTX1060, even a GTX1070 will be fine in most games really.
There is still plenty of options and life in your current playform.
You motherboard only isnt able to overclock, but that is not really something that is nessesary persee.

Basicly cpu + gpu upgrade is all you really gonne need.
If you want to play the newest games with a great gameplay experiance.

Yes, that's about right. As I said on the beginning this all started when I realize that with this actual config I'll never play Firewatch and it made me sad :P
So, I began lookin what to do but become a little overwhelmed with so many options, you guys are great! Thanks so much!

I've used ebay 1/2 dozen times with no problems. Keep an eye on the feedback and how long they have been dealing. I got burned on amazon but it was a case of too good to be true [price with new dealer], and I'm sure amazon will refund the money.

I would try a new gpu first and see how that goes.

Yes, in Amazon I think it's more pacific when the deal isn't good...ebay it's a matter of checking as you said!

Yes, it's what I'm going to do, 1st GPU and later try a good deal over an i5....recommendations on GPU?

I think you were right on the money with a 1050 or 1050ti, they're pretty solid

Personally I'd go 460 or 470 but that's my preference for many reasons I don't want to get into in this thread as it's not the place.

2 Likes

Also solid choices

That was my first opinion when the reviews started to show up, manly the TI...

Hey, no worries, everyone here has the right of a preference! Thanks for the insight, this will make me search for a better gpu for me! :)

1 Like

Yeah you should look at the most up to date benchmarks possible... idk where he gets them but @psycho_666 usually has them at hand fairly quickly. AMD cards get better over time for the most part to the point where a card will be beating the equivalent and oftentimes the one tier higher nvidia card by EOL. There are reasons for buying one over the other though... like linux compatibility, card longevity, etc. that many on the forum including myself swear by. Certainly do your own research and figure out what's best for you rather than listen to random people on the internet and base your decisions on that.

1 Like

Who have summoned me?
Basically I have the Techpowerup app on my phone. It's really nice. I just check the latest gpu review, because they take the time and redo all the benchmarks. So the newest review will do all benchmarks with all graphics cards with the newest drivers and will be fairly accurate for today's performance...

You know this GTX 1060, that was some 8-10% faster than the RX480? Well, it's 2% now... May be 3...

2 Likes

300w? well you could use a 1050, a 1060 ...
ideally though you want to spend the little extra on a rx480 or 1070.. really buying lower is going to be a waste of money.
if you can,. id look more to getting a 500w PSU, and then a GPU, though you could and can play games on a 1050/1060, rx460 i think you might the performance not all that impressive, better than your iGPU though.

Ok here is what I would do. Join your Facebook buy sell swap pc parts groups and see what others in your area have but be warned some people may not have the parts that you are waiting for if you can.

See if you can pick up a video card that requires a 6 pin only because of your power supply preferably more recent and from AMD witch is a bit hard to find and make sure that it a RX 460, R9 370, R9 260x since these video cards will work in your system. As for my reason to go with AMD as others have said Nvidia would likely to drop support on older cards and gimp them. 780ti performs on the level of a 1050ti as of 2016 December

As for the CPU you are going to get a i3 or i5 and it must be a 4xxx i.e i3 4130 / i5 4430 series cpu since that will work with your motherboard. As for the motherboard as other may have said see if you can get into the BIOS, jot down the BIOS Revision of the motherboard look up the motherboard model and see if it's a version that support Haswell Refresh CPU. If it does support Haswell Refresh just get any i3/i5 4xxx with the remainder of your budget.If your motherboard does not support Haswell CPU's avoid these CPU's and still get whatever you can

As for the rest of your system is fine.

As a bonus when doing these private sales on facebook and whatever bring a buddy with you if you can, you can never expect what the seller is capable of.

Really? I didn't knew nothing of this...great advice!

Yes, I had forgotten the wattage of my PSU, yesterday making this post I re-checked and I have to buy another one in the long run...But PSU are more simply to pick one! :)

I have to look this up, because I'm from Portugal, and as I said above, the used market it's not quite the best one, comparing with USA/Canada...it's really not! But definitely I have to check it out (if is exits)

Yes, as from yesterday I was enlighten by @MisteryAngel that the Haswell Refresh CPU can be a thing with my MOBO, I have to check that tip out also...

Yes, it's an MSI B85-G41 PC Mate it's a lga 1150, so Haswell ;)

Thanks so much for this "intel" guys, I have learn a lot in this 2 days.
I probably could get (for the right price) a Xeon;
That there's more than meets the eye over on AMD and NVidia GPU;
Will have to get a PSU in a short time...
Have to see if here in Portugal there is a short better way to get used parts in a good deal! :)

1 Like

Yes you only gonne need to update the bios for Haswell refresh cpu´s.
But since you currently run a G3258, its no problem to firstly update the bios,
before you swap cpu´s.

Yes, I'm searching for this right now

Hmm, no I'm rocking an Intel Pentium G3220, but there will be just the same right?

But I think mainly I'm going to upgrade with an GPU (and at the same time the PSU, it depends on the GPU) and later the CPU :)

Just made in pcpartpicker my rig (my PSU don't show up so I put the more like to be equivalent) with two different GPU but the rest is what I have:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card
Power Supply: Silverstone 300W 80+ Bronze Certified

And the wattage with an 1050ti or with an Asus Radeon RX 460 4GB STRIX Video Card is the same 238W so I think I can for now keep my silverstone efn-300 PSU.

Later on when I get a better CPU probably is a good thing upgrade the PSU....
I didn't get to compare specs or benchmarks on the GPU, but those 2 seemed quite good for the money right?

Yeah pretty much the same thing.
The main point i mean, is that you currently have a running system.
So you have no issues updating the bios.
But i do see people buying a a B85, Z87 motherboard + a Haswell refresh cpu for example.
And they then find out that the system wont post, because they needed to update the bios first.
I have seen it happen, but its not worries for you, because you have a working system right now.

1 Like

I have been searching for GPU and I have this:

(new) Gigabyte GeForce GTX1050 TI 4GB GDDR5 (PCI-E) - GV-N105TD5-4GD beginning at 164,27€

(new) MSI GeForce GTX1050 Ti OC 4GB GDDR5 (PCI-E) - 912-V809-2268 beginning at 175,90€

(new) Sapphire AMD RX 460 NITRO OC 4GB GDDR5 DVI-D HDMI DP 170€

What do you guys think?

If you can find cheap 470 - yes... Otherwise 460 is quite a way behind 1050Ti...
Where are you looking at the prices? 460 in my country can be found for 120-130€...