The Tea Thread 🍵

is not green tea per say, nor is it black.

Green tea has EGCg in it which is the “health” part of green tea. All tea will dry you out a bit, but in general you want loose leaf (short is said to produce more caffeine in the tea)

I would search for a local tea shop, I don’t know any good online sites off hand

2 Likes

Pu Erh and Earl grey have kept me awake many a night shift. A word of caution though, Pu erh has a very strong smell but tastes completely different. It is not aromatic in any way shape or form. I love it though. Also, almost all black and green* teas are strong and should keep you up a fair bit

2 Likes

some Pißwasser

1 Like

Mostly, I used to prefer black team in my workplace or in my home. Its like refreshing yourself from the stress.

2 Likes

Local brand…
Believe it or not, it’s Thyme…

2 Likes

I mix these

2 Likes

I see you go to Kroger. You are a man of culture.

1 Like

sips on Diet Big K

1 Like

A small selection of my tea collection.

Variable temperature kettle for the different tea types, Chinese style tea cups and western, gai wan and gong dao bei, porcelain tea pot and glass tea pot both with filters, pu erh tea pick and a tea tray for spilling.

Teas include various greens, shu pu erhs and a gushu sheng pu erh, blacks, oolong and herbals. Mostly Chinese teas for me, but my wife likes to drink assam.

Edit: Also have a couple of tins of matcha in the fridge.

2 Likes

I recommend yunnan sourcing. I got some mei leaf teas on sale, but I think they are a bit pricey otherwise (very good teas though!)

1 Like

2013 Yunnan Sourcing Yong De Blue Label Ripe Pu-erh

Earthy, perhaps a hint of leather. Subtle woody taste. Thick texture. Not very bitter although moderately astringent.

2 Likes

Guayusa tea … I also use it to make caffeinated kombucha

2 Likes

400 year old Gushu tree tea.

Slightly bitter, quite fruity; hint of apricot. Very short steeps on this one as it’s packed with flavour.

3 Likes

You get down with ancient tea and I just get marked down tea from Stash or Celestial or something RIP.

That one was a treat, celebrating my wife’s 1 year anniversary here in the UK. I would like to start collecting tea cakes but I don’t make enough money to justify going that deep into the hobby yet. I have one tea cake making its way to me from China as we speak and I have one stored given to me by my parents (who got it from my brothers girlfriend at the time who was from China).

Tea cake, this is really something new, I didn’t eat this type.

1 Like

Not a cake like that. It refers to the tea leaves being pressed and stored in a cake shape. This was done in ancient times to preserve the tea for longer and help carry more of it for trade. In modern times it is done to ensure a slower rate of aging of the tea leaf. Some Pu erhs reach peak flavour after 40 to 60 years of aging.

Current drink of choice.

1 Like

anyone got any recommendations for strainers?

I would use the strainer when cleaning out my teapot. I was planning on using water to fill up the teapot and dump the leaves/water mix into the strainer.

Currently when I clean my pot, I dump the leaves into the trash. If any remain I fill the pot with water and dump it into the sink using a paper towel as a filter

Considering this

1 Like

Adagio sent me a week’s worth of their CommuniTEA sampler thing as a freebie, which I am now drinking out of order as the mood suits.

Today was Earl Grey Bella Luna, which presents less of a black tea flavor than coconut. I was surprised this was an Earl Grey, because the citrus notes I detected were more lemon than bergamont, but not unpleasant. I detected none of the creme notes they describe.

The aroma of the coconut makes me want to try some of their other blends that feature it, but I won’t be adding this into my rotation anytime soon.

1 Like