Discord
Steam / GoG (and all that jazz)
virtualbox
7zip
MSI Afterburner
Coretemp
VLC

1 Like

Go to ninite.com, the first and last time I use Edge. (except for testing)

Select all of the things I want then let it do it’s thing.

I’m a PIA subscriber so I go grab their VPN tool thingie.

Down some random script from the net linked from some dudes YouTube video. clean out most if not all of the annoying Windows 10 features.

(OK I did read through the script before running it, honest)

2 Likes

rufus
linux iso

etc…

4 Likes

I tried using chocolatey as it’s a neat idea, but ended up hating it in practice due to the retarded way certain program repositories were configured to install, causing issues with missing config files (notepad++?), strangely slow program startups, and needless command prompts having to be open (sumatraPDF?).

There’s also my strong hatred of dumping programs that have nothing to do with each other into one big stupid folder. While unix’s have spent all sorts of effort whitewashing that issue with their package managers, on windows it’s openly ugly. There were also some usability annoyances I don’t specifically recall as well.

Past the initial setup, I don’t really add or remove programs much, so it’s not like it even really saved me time either. It’s been a year or two so I don’t recall the details or if anything has improved, but I’m not keen to go back. The base program is ok, but it’s got a 3rd party quality problem.

I say this, because I’ve never seen anything but glowing opinions of it. I just want to let that one other contrarian out there know he isn’t alone!

1 Like

A good portion of these are proprietary software I wish I could quit, but the open source alternatives had/have a variety of failings that prevent them from actually being alternatives for my use and ability. Furthermore I am afraid of change and don’t have much time for that shit anyways so I spend my software days angry and full of loathing.

• Fedora Meda Writer is the only fucking USB iso writer that’s easy to use in both linux and windows, and also seems to work every time. Rufus and Etcher always seem to choke one something eventually. It also easily let’s me completely reset a usb stick, without having to fuck around with DD which I frankly don’t understand and don’t think most others really do either, which makes it hazardous. I still need to try out YUMI

• Firefox (preferred browser). Plugins: ublock origin, Save Page WE, Dark Reader, OneTab, The Great Suspender, Absolute Enable Right To Click, The Camelizer, ViolentMonkey, (google) View Image. I also use Shadowfox to fix the whole clusterfuck that is dark themes.

• Chrome (Required to because job/Okta)

• Notepad++ One of those things where I love the art, but hate the artist.

• qBittorrent for all my linux isos.

• 7zip

• Sumatra PDF

• FreeFileSync

• SMPlayer (Using mpv. Also you can easily change the stupid default theme) (RIP MPC-HC ;_; MPC-BE has bugs, VLC can eat shit. On it’s own MPV’s keyboard shortcut based UI is fucking awful who came up with that bullshit.)

• Hard Disk Sentinel There’s also a linux version, though I’ve yet to have time to properly try it out.

• Python3 Python2 needs to fucking die already.

• Youtube-dl (renamed to “yt” for ease of use. I suppose I could set up aliases or something, but to hell with screwing around with that on windows.)

• Office365, provided by work

• KMS_VL_ALL.cmd

• Icaros is a really nice thumbnail format extension for windows.

• Irfanview + plugins

• Foobar2000

• Aomei Backupper

• JDownloader I fucking hate this poorly designed piece of shit but it’s too useful to ignore.

• Gimp

• WinDirStat

• HWiNFO64

• Locate32 (Not really installed, I just copy it into a “Utilities” folder. Locate32 is no longer developed, but works well (with only occasional and minor graphical bugs when resizing the window). I find it easier to use as a manually run indexer for finding things in my massive data collecting in my NAS. Does a great job with thumbnails and network drives. Most other people probably want “Everything”

• sst27 same thing as with locate32, as well as adding it to my path. I only really used tee and have now migrated all my scripts to my OMV/Debian NAS, but anyone who scripts with windows should definitely have a look. Shell Scripting Toolkit (contains TEE) sst27.zip (481.5 KB)

1 Like

Bit of a OT, but do they have unlimited Data? I’d like to get a VPN but would want to use it often for Youtube and Netflix. The Information is hard to get by. Most Providers only talk about Bandwidth.

1 Like

On my machine, this is usually what I throw on there:

Media:
VLC Mediaplayer
Musicbee
Irfan View
K-Lite Codec Pack
Flixster Video
Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 (worst programm EVER)

Content Creation:
Sony Vegas 13
Shotcut
Serif Affinity Designer
Serif PagePlus X9 (hope to replace this with Affinity Publisher soon)
Serif PhotoPlus X6 (to be replaced with Affinity Photo)
Audacity
No 23 Recorder
Handbrake
OBS Studio
Krita
Scretchbook
Cannon Photo Stitch

System management:
Process Explorer
Autoruns
MSI Afterburner
Mainboard fan controll (currently ASRock F-Stream)
Ryzen Master
Process Lasso
Windows Firewall Control
DiskInfo
HWinfo
GPU-Z
WinDirStat

Communication:
Telegram
Thunderbird
Discord
Teamspeak

Launchers:
GOG
Steam
League Launcher
Battlenet
Origin (sigh)

Games:
Microsoft Pinball (yes, the XP one)
Starcraft (the old one)
NFSMW

Development:
VSCode (and the 14 pluggins I have there)
Fritzing
Oracle VirtualBox
Julia
Logisim
Netbeans
KiCAD
Notepad++

Misc:
qbittorrent (used to sync data between notebook and desktop)
LibreOffice
A soundcard scope
Geogebra
FireFox
Vivaldi
Chromium
Opera
Radeon RAMDisk
Remotetutilities

1 Like

Comodo Firewall
Avast
Firefox + ublock origin + noscript + https everywhere
Vlc
Putty
Winscp
Filezilla
KeePass2
Malwarebytes
7-Zip
Acronis True Image
Ccleaner
LibreOffice
Foxit Reader
Wise Registry Cleaner
Wise Disk Cleaner
Veracrypt

1 Like

Y?

Y again?

^ This is the basis.

In addition, depending on the needs and the machine:

K-Lite Codec Pack
HD Tune Pro
inSSIDer Home
Spotify
ProtonVPN
Tor Browser
Freemake Video Converter
CPU-Z
CrystalDiskInfo
Etcher
Hard Disk Sentinel
HostsMan (not anymore, Pi Hole does the job)
Kingston SSD Manager (Because A400)
ADATA SSD Toolbox (Because SU800)
VirtualBox
PatchCleaner
Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
Norton Power Eraser
AS SSD Benchmark
ATTO Disk Benchmark
CrystalDiskMark
MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition
WinDirStat

Specially for Windows 10 I am testing:
Ashampoo AntiSpy
Spybot Anti-Beacon
O&O ShutUp10
Destroy Windows 10 Spying

Then why use it?

Because it is the only BluRay Player Software that works for any Blurays

1 Like

Rip them. MakeMKV to get it off the disc and then Handbrake to get a reasonable file size. Or just let Handbrake do all of that at once.

@BookrV you’re not alone.

1 Like

Handbrake fails at the encryption.

Then MakeMKV first and Handbrake after that.

Currently creating an image so I don’t have to spend 30-60 minutes everytime I want to spin up a Windows 10 client/VM. Image contains:

Classic Shell
Chrome (I know)
LibreOffice
Flash (I know)
Java (F#$K)
VLC
Windows 7 Calc and PhotoViewer
Windows RSAT tools
WinRAR
7-Zip

Pre-staged apps/drivers:
Nvidia and AMD drivers
Intel Ethernet and wireless drivers
Immunet Anti-Virus (known problems with sysprepping with it installed)
Folder of decrapifying scripts to run after installation (most of this resets after oobe)

Additional items if its the image for my computer:
Steam
HWiNFO64
Crystal Disk Mark
Putty
Dropbox
VMware Workstation Pro 12
Discord
MSI Afterburner
Firefox

I know where to grab the calc, but where is the photoviewer? I would like that under Win10

I have never come across a cap and there must be a couple of TB a month going through it.

1 Like
  • Windows Update
  • Vivaldi Browser
  • Atom Text Editor
  • Steam
  • Discord
  • Spotify
  • Keepass
  • 7-Zip

Thast everything i Need :slight_smile: