What S.T.A.L.K.E.R should I play

I was browsing gog and noticed that stalker is now there and would like to play one. my preyer knowledge is zero with the series other than knowing there hardcore. never the less I wish to delve in. So what I would like to know is, Which one should I play, or is there a specific order to them... and if anyone knows if I should use any mods...?  any help would be greatly appreciated. ps it is late here in Australia so good night.

They were released in the order Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, Call of Pripyat.

Clear Sky is a prequel, taking place approx. 8 months prior to the events in Shadow of Chernobyl.

You should play Shadow of Chernobyl before Call of Pripyat, since the two games are more closely knit story-wise.

Clear Sky can be played separately, since the storyline is somewhat set apart from the other 2 games.

In regards to mods, many (especially on the GSC forums), and myself included would recommend to play without any mods the first time. There are some graphic mods, that enhance the visuals of the game, because the old game can look a bit outdated with the old textures.

You might want to try this one:

http://absolute.crommcruac.com/shadow-of-chernobyl/download.php

Thanks for the help 100radsbar, again its most appreciated. 

No problem :)

There is also S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

It enhances the visuals, and activates a few cut features, the mod keeps the vanilla gameplay.

As far as I remember, the Complete mod disables some of the auto-quests that pop-up when switching levels, and fixes some other small bugs.

And without further ado, I am going to promote Priboi Story. It was originally made br Team Dezowave in 2007-2008 (as far as I remember), and it takes place in 2013, after the events in Shadow of Chernobyl, and Call of Pripyat. 

Some of the elements in Priboi Story can be found in Call of Pripyat, GSC found some inspiration from the mod :).

I did an Overhaul of Priboi Story a while back. What I added can be seen in the ReadMe of the mod. I added some background story to the PDA which brings Priboi Story in line with the events in Call of Pripyat.

But in general take your time when playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The Zone is full of surprises, the longer the stay the more you will experience.

One little spoiler though.

There is a place of no return in Shadow of Chernobyl, when following the Storyline. And that is when you leave Pripyat to go to the CNPP

In Clear Sky it is when you leave for Limansk :)