What router are you running?

I am in the other/unlisted section - I fell into the UBNT eco seystem - and for the realy high convenience factor I now run a USG as the router/gateway as well - a view more improvements from UBNT and its a realy realy good platform for SDN =)

Using a Cisco 1921 router with the latest IOS. It's been rock solid for my needs so far.

My Linksys WRT1900ACS runs stock firmware because it allows me remote admin easily from anywhere. My ASUS RT-N66U also runs Merlin in AP mode for upstairs coverage. Then I have a Linsys E1200 (piece of shit) running DD-WRT to repeat the 2.4Ghz to my detached garage/outside, mostly for streaming music when I'm doing work.

I'm currently running PFSense on an old Core 2 Quad. I don't do anything crazy with it but having my own router that can take advantage of the speedups we get on the internet late at night is really nice. The increase in power consumption isn't much of a bother because I turn it off when I'm out of the house and booting it up takes less than a minute on an old 40GB hard drive.

What? ... What do you mean?
I don't understand ... I .. I can't ... but ... no. .... No no no no no NO!
That is impossible! You can't! No!

3 Likes

:3

unlike other routers I've used in the past, turning it off and on again doesn't break my network.

I am thinking about getting an Ubiquti AC Lite as well. Do you know if DD-WRT will run on it?

Not entirely sure, but I think DD-WRT's site has a list of compatible routers. You may want to check that out to know for sure.

pfsense checking in, I say it's been good overall.

I am going to look into PIA, it's funny right before the latest vid I asked in the discord if I could use my pfsense router to have a router level VPN, and Wendell flies in and puts out a video as if was made just for me. And in that video talks about what I want to do have games traffic and things like Netflix and Crunchyroll to split and go through normal ISP and not PIA.

1 Like

Thanks. For the record, seems to be supported:

2 Likes

I've finally made the switch to Pfsense and Ubiquiti lite APS. I've been wanting to be able to VPN, filter, monitor, cache for a while. The AIO I've used is extremely limiting and while I thought about using a VM as a router for a while the simplicity of a hardware/Pfsense solution is simpler

2 Likes

Would this all be possible on an open-wrt router? I need to watch this video.

I don't know to be honest I have never used a open-wrt router before

so your IP is 192.168.1.2, get ready to get hacked!
jk or am I?

1 Like