What program to use?

Hello everyone, I'm currently trying to make my first android app. In high school I took Computer Programming and learned Visual Basic. I know Visual Basic isn't much of a help but I figure its better then nothing. The app I want to make is very very simple and would only really require buttons and then if you got the right answer you would progress to the next level. So far I have looked into B4A and it seems to be pretty good, but im wondering if their is an easier program since my game is simple and would require no animations etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Don't stick to one language. Learn a new one every opportunity you get.

If you want to make a game for android, just use whichever game engine you like that supports it. For example you can use Unity. It may be an overkill, but it will do the job.
Well, if it's actually a game that requires 2D/3D space.

Otherwise, you can just make a regular application using Eclipse.

1 Like

Use the accepted languages for platforms (Java for Android, Swift for iOS), you can't just stick to one language and expect it to be enough. Right now I personally use Java (university project), C# (work), C++(freelance project, and another university project). Sometimes I get to code in all three languages on the same day. There are also more languages I have learned, not just these. Well I hope you get the idea. If you try to use something else you may get away with it for the easy stuff, but it will get real ugly real fast if you use some awkward cross-compiler to translate your code for example, there are good solutions though, but you have to identify them and choose yourself. Luckily this is not always the case in software development, you're not always locked into one solution or language, sometimes you can even mix and match the best contenders, but for the current mobile market - forget it.

Being completely new to coding, are their any resources you would recommend to help start? For the most part my app/game is just buttons (ie, one is the right answer and the rest the wrong answer). From what I can recall this was pretty easy to do using Visual Basic. Once I get a basic understanding of one language I would like to learn as many as I can.

Google's Android tutorial is a great way to start to work on Android, but it requires some prior knowledge of Java to really understand everything what's going on. For that I have no known sources, since I never used any of them, one quick googling and I came up with this http://www.freejavaguide.com/corejava1.htm. Try finding something else if this doesn't work for you.
As for the Google Android tutorial: https://developer.android.com/training/index.html