What OS is this forum mostly composed of?

So I'm a little curios at the moment with the sudden shift of users going to linux (including me), what os do you prefer or are mainly using. If you're dual booting pick the one your mostly using. It is prefered if you fill out this strawpoll so that we can have a nice visual representation.
Straw Poll Link

flawed. Reality could be posted by forum admins... i bet 75%+ is windows, 20% linux, 5% osx.

This really isn't an accurate way of measuring usage. It would be better to ask an admin to conduct this poll to ensure each OS gets properly represented.

Currently using Windows 8.1 Pro. If Linux had better game support, I'd probably be using it as my main instead. Although, Windows is required in some of my classes. There's some applications such as Photoshop that is absolutely mandatory.

I occasionally run distros in a VM for learning purposes. And yeah yeah...I know it should be the other way around. Perhaps one day. But for now, it is what it is. :)

in my house right now there is
PC OS
2 Win 7
1 Win 8.1
1 Win XP (mother in law wont change it even if i beg)
1 Win 2008 r2
1 FreeNas
1 Rasbmc
VM's OS
1 Ubuntu 14 04 server with gnome GUI
1 Ubuntu 14 04 server with out GUI
2 Win 7
1 Win 10 preview
2 Dos 7.1 (using virtuabox scaling mode to play old retro games like dungeon keeper in full screen)

Main Rig: Xubuntu w/ Windows 8.1
Aux Rig: Windows 10TP or whatever linux flash drive I boot off of when I'm sampling other distros
Minecraft Server: Ubuntu
Many random partial builds/parts machines most with a wiped hdd or running a random distro for testing purposes.
These don't include the builds for other people I have going but they all want windows 8 or windows 7. I think I have free BSD on something somewhere running off of a 2 1/2 drive but I don't remember. If admins do a random survey I could be running off one of multiple so my result will be random. I use whatever computer i'm already on or is closest to me.

Windows 8.1 for convenience, I'm an MS-Excel user, and I find Windows ample for my Excel needs.

I am contemplating purchasing an ex-government laptop to play around with Linux, but the Windows system will be my preferred option.

There is no OS X votes at this point and its split almost evenly between the other two. But I have to say that I use all three OSs, I have an old Macbook Pro at my parents house that I use when I'm over there, and I have a dual booted system with Arch and Win 7. After a bit of setting up with Arch I started to use it more than Windows and now I rarely ever boot to my Windows drive. Actually I was thinking of wiping that drive and moving my Arch stuff over to it since its on a bigger.

The best way to asses this would be with browser data what ever is the most used OS for a use is how they will be marked.

I would be willing to bet it is mainly a silent majority of windows. Almost the entire build a PC and hardware section is Windows. And there are a ton of uses who post sparingly or just lurk that are mainly Windows.

After a week or so the amount of Linux post will die down. And after many people set up there dual boots they will just return to Windows and the only reminded they will have is that they have to choose Windows with GRUB at boot.

1 Like

I for one will not, I am happier with Linux at the moment and am only keeping Windows around for games like BF and LoL that don't natively support Linux. I know I could just use Play on Linux and Wine, but if I already have a Windows license and a spare drive I might as well since I only play those games once in a blue moon.