What operating system is Wendell using in his machine?

@wendell In a few videos have I seen you using windows 8 or multiple diffrent linux systems, but I haven't seen an answer to this question yet. Is it because you are a distro hopper? However if you can get around to answering the question I have another one. Why are running that operating system?

Kind Regards,

I think he is either using mint or ubuntu

I think it was Debian, best way to find out is ask the man @wendell himself.

Sorry I am new to the website. How would I do that?

I just did, when you want send someone a notice you use the "@" symbol with their name for example. @Nomaran will ping me. Hopefully if Wendell isn't too busy he'll be able to answer. Chances are he hops around a bunch or has a multiboot system.

1 Like

Cheers! :D @Nomaran

If you make it here @wendell, I've been gettting my ass kicked trying to install debian on BTRFS subvolumes... It's totally not working, have you done it before?

I think he uses OpenSuse, he said it was the best for setting up a multiple monitor display, compared to the other distros.

He uses Plan9 with the Gentoo patches

All of them probs... Hes a man who cant be controlled by one OS, to be honest can any techie? I think even Linus understand basics of Unix

The great thing about Wendell is that he just uses whichever does what he needs much like Qain.

@wendell doesn't even see the terminal, he just sees, blonde, brunette, redhead

lol, missed this till now.

I'm kind of OS agnostic but the OS I spend most of my time with is probably Debian. I use windows and MacOS kind of a lot though. Powershell + SSH is pretty great and I wish the apple script automation crap were more automatable.

I do think OpenSUSE has one of the most polished desktop experiences out there right now. Ubuntu is hit and miss from version to version but not bad for day-to-day work. Fedora has been the dark horse everyone forgot about the last couple of years. I've been really impressed with it.

I spent a lot of time with Arch. I like it a lot. I don't really like that the stuff I'm downloading hasn't really been looked at by any names I have come to know/love/trust. I've also come to rely perhaps a bit too much on automatic security updates in debian not breaking anything because I want stuff to Just Work which maybe isn't always bleeding edge.

I like the bleedging-edgeness of Fedora and Arch, though, it was much more seductive than I expected. It was more bleedy-edgey than even Debian Testing which is basically just fine for most daily use anyway.

For the "internet of things", I would only ever consider Debian with automatic updates. Those guys are the real heros. Possibly CentOS with automatic updates unless someone wants to give me lots of free subs to RHEL but CentOS + automatic updates is probably fine.

Otherwise the "internet of things" will be the "internet of long forgotten operating system vulnerabilities and now the chinese control my coffee pot" .. Just the other day I encountered a brand new copier that has the bash shell escape vulnerability.

4 Likes

Interesting to see you're flexible with the operating-systems that you utilise (from Windows, MacOS to the Linux stable)

From my own consumer experiences, I don't think you can justify a 'one-size-fits-all' approach when it comes to OS's (you use whatever system that is appropriate at the time, as in your example)

Have you given OpenSuse Leap a try yet? They added new tools for creating containers. It is pretty neat.

Wad goig to ask you about BSD but then remembered you probably run it on servers/network appliances.

Oh did you get that hackentosh working? Curious what you are using it for.