What off the shelf wifi 6 router should I get?

I’ve installed three Belkin RT3200s reflashed with OpenWrt 22.03 running 11ax without a hitch. The mt7622 soc in the Belkin is very fast compared to the 7621 and many qualcomm socs, and it’s got a lot of room for growth. They’re on Walmart right now for $75, but I got my last one there for $60 (typical list is $100).

1 Like

Yes, for $75, get them,… and then get spares. (they’re basically like Ubiquiti UDR, or like U6-LR but with a switch, … nice and relatively speedy A53 cores inside instead of ancient MIPS).

There are also many reporting connectivity issues so it seems to be a mixed bag depending on your clients.

MIPS did nothing wrong!

Sorry, I am a MIPS fanboi. I have transitioned over to mostly ARM but I have few MIPS items kicking around 10+ years of services. Almost nothing beats MIPS power efficiency

Quite a bit of things these days?

We have 10+ years before RISC-V replace most of MIPS use-cases.

That is quite a nice setup. As long as you avoid Netgear you should be fine. I have had too many bad experiences with them.

Dose any of your networking equipment require a subscription for advanced features? I couldn’t tell by the product pages.

I dont think the omada has any paid features

Quick update. I have already noticed a speed increase with my new setup. My speedtest is at a steady 900+ Mbps and upload is at a steady 30 - 37Mbps. There’s a night and day difference between my new setup vs my older all in one netgear nighthawk setup. Setup was relatively easy; however, I haven’t fine tuned the firewall settings yet. I will need a couple days to dedicate to watching videos and read before i implement firewall settings.

3 Likes

Updated Oct 7, 2022.

Wirecutter: The Best Wi-Fi Routers for 2022