What monitor should i get?

I need some help on monitor recommendations. Price is not an issue really, but I dont want to spend a lot on it unless its worth it. I am using a Samsung 1080p 120hz tv via hdmi and would like to upgrade from that. I use my pc for gaming and regular daily use(media consumption). I am thinking 1440p 144hz, ultrawide, or 4k({probably not worth it because of my hardware and its still new). IPS or TN? I have an evga 770 classified(not oc) and 4770k(not oc). Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

This

i cant justify that much money. I want to make the move to 4k in the future. So i just need something good until then. I was thinking about asus rog swift which is $740. I think thats the max i would spend.

The ROG Swift looks fine in that case then.

Or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009742

why that over the faster and cheaper rog swift?

ok thanks

I also could save some money and get 1080p 144hz. Is their a big difference between 1080p and 1440p? Do i need g-sync? I also like would like to max all the settings out in current games and in the future. Is my 770 enough to max everything out at 1440 and 144hz?

if choose to get the rog swift, I could also get a new mobo, gpu, and possibly a 1080p 144hz for the price of the rog swift by it self. Should I do that instead?

my current rig:

Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker
CPU: Intel i7-4770k (Stock)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: EVGA GTX 770 4GB Classified w/ ACX Cooling (Stock)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR3 2133 (Stock 1600)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Power Supply: Corsair 750W HX 80+ Gold Modular
Storage: WD 2TB Gree & Samsung E 128GB SSD 840 PRO
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40

You get an IPS display with much better colors than the ROG swift. The pixel response time is slightly slower at 4ms though.

2560x1440 IPS from Asus, Dell, Samsung

Higher rez requires expensive video card investment to hit high FPS with full eye candy
Other brands generally lack quality control
TN stands for Terrible, No.

Heres a link to the most talked about monitors and their specs

OK thanks for the input. I'm just worrying about my GPU now. If it will be able to max everything out at 1440

OK thanks for the input and link. I'm just worried about my GPU. I want to max everything out and have high fps and all the eye candy.

just get a fast 3d printer and make it print each frame really fast lol jk, depends on the purpose of such machine?

I think you might have to turn down some filters or anti-aliasing. You should still get most of the eye candy.

I was running my 1440p display with a HD 7950 3GB with very respectable results once I turned down some AA on the newer games. A HD 7950 is about on par with a GTX 760, and seeing that you've got a 770 with a larger 4GB frame buffer, I don't see any issues.

Gaming and regular use/media consumption

OK thanks for the information. Is 1440p 144hz a big difference from 1080p 144hz? Because I would save $500 if I get 1080. I could also get another 770 if i get 1440p.

on a 770, get the 1080p until you upgrade your gpu :D

1 Like

that is what i was thinking. because i would like to max out all of my games and get high fps. So I would probably need another 770 to do that and i dont know if my psu would be able to do it.

should i get a monitor with gsync? is their a good ultrawide 144hz?

close thread