What laptops have close to full sRGB coverage at 1080p minimum?

My 2009 macbook pro needs to be replaced and since I already am a little bit in the linuxes now (and apple completely losing their minds) I was looking around for a while. With kaby lake the XPS13 seems to be the answer to all my questions. I want to go for the 1080p (because matte), i5, 8GB, 256GB PCIe SSD model. Basically one step above the minimum.

Since there isn't much fixing issues on notebooks after the fact, I want to know what you guys think. What kills it for you?

Fuck all that before.

What laptops have close to full sRGB coverage at 1080p minimum?

If you know one (or many?) please tell me. I wanna make a list of recommendations for photographers.

1 Like

That its dell

5 Likes

Why would that be bad?

Have a look in lounge...

1 Like

Uhm, no. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Projected 18.3% failure rate?

https://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

To be honest why should you care what other people think? It's your laptop, not ours. If it's exactly what you want, buy it.

2 Likes

Its a perfectly good laptop.

I would definitely wait until the end of the november to pick one up though.

1) I think it needs more time on the market for more reviews.

2) Better holiday deals.

A possible third reason is that linux is still kind of struggling with decent skylake support. In turn I have no idea how well kaby lake will be supported.

I have the 9350, aka the previous model.

It's buggy. And Dell QC can be extremely shoddy.

Coil whine on 80% of units. Performance of the new kaby lake chip on notebook review shows that it's underperforming in every aspect when compared to skylake except for the graphics.

Problems I've come across on my laptop?

Seizure inducing flickering screen, detaching bezel, crackling speakers, permanent dynamic brightness and contrast on the panel, terrible key rollover on the keyboard, coil whine, chrome bugs only on this laptop. There's probably more, but that's what comes to mind.

I love the design. I've worked out most of the bugs. It's just a shame that such a nice laptop has so many drawbacks.

1 Like

lenovo x1 carbon is a thing

I have a broadwell i5 variant

latest model
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/

I can't find a kaby lake variant. And that is actually important to me.

nope, only skylake right now :/

The thing is kaby lake has the new codecs in the iGPU. And that might not be that important now but in a few years....

it wont even matter because the laptop wont hold a charge anymore. lol

Here's a good reason not to buy it. if the i5 you mention is the 6200u , it's a terrible cpu. As in my 5 year old dv6000 that i bought at a pawn shop for 200$ is about 50% faster.

don't waste any money on anything that can barely break 300 points in cinebench

I haven't had any issues with my Dell Latitude e5470 since I bought it off ebay a few months ago.
Not sure about Kaby Lake though. Like others have said, wait for reviews. Then decide.

1 Like

I used to have a dell xps and liked it a lot. I hear the new xps is fantastic. So go for it.

I am trying to find flaws I'm not thinking about but would still be relevant.
The failure rate (figure 5) is pretty close to the best score in this comparison after two years. The three year data is simply made up, so it doesn't count. And ... 2009.

My seven year old macbook pro is still running for a couple hours.

That is skylake, not kaby lake.

In what? Breaking your spine while carrying it? lol

I don't need CPU speed on the go.

Seems like that is what will happen.

Looking at the title of this thread, so far you all failed! Losers.

I'll give you another few hours but yeah, I think I am gonna pull the trigger. I'll let you know. Thank you all so far.

What little experience I've had with the XPS was impressive. The skylake version I had a play with performed well and was designed quite nicely. The track pad on it will please you as well because it's basically ripped from a Mac. The one I had was using the 7200u and the iGPU was surprisingly good.

As with all the of the manufacturer's products though I'd be wary. I've used some of their other laptop lines extensively and they do fail.

Try to stop me from buying an XPS13 2016

gg

I don't know if they have fixed it in the 2016 version, but the previous version had the worlds touchiest touch pad.

My boss made me buy him a different laptop after less than a year with his XPS13 because the touchpad was so sensitive, just moving you hand or finger near it (not even touching) would register a movement, often times the pointer would fly all over the place, select a bunch of text and move it or it would get overwritten if you were typing.

I tried the latest firmware and drivers, to no avail. It was pretty bad.

I won't stop you. Because I have one :P