What is your videogame of the decade?

Since we are a few days away from 2020 - new year, new decade, what is your favourite game of the old decade?
Short and sweet :slight_smile:

Even though I massively suck at it, I will have to say me favourite game of the decade is Dark Souls (2011). Yeah, original, I know… The first Dark Souls. Not the garbage sequels. Still trying to pass Blighttown. I’m horrible at it.

3 Likes

I am going to go with Verdun. A FPS game set in WWI.

1 Like

Hmm, I wanted to go with SOMA at first, but I think I’ll have to give it to Prey (2017).

Both have this great, and bleak, atmosphere. But the huge amount of options to approach situations given to the player in Prey really sets it apart.
It does require an investment of the player to try and understand their surroundings, and, especially, enemies, to a greater extent than most games. Playing it like a shooter (while possible) is likely not going to be much fun.

Prey is one of a rather short list of games I’ve run through multiple times. Should anyone pick it up I’d recommend sticking to one option, rather than mixing and matching (you’ll know what I’m talking about when you get to that point), the experience will be vastly different between playthroughs then and really showcases the amount of effort that went into level design.

Fwiw, I didn’t care for any of the DLC, all of them are quite different from the main game so I’d recommend doing some research before grabbing them.

Speaking about grabbing, the game’s currently 75% off on Steam, quite the steal at that price imho.

2 Likes

For me, even though i have moved on and stopped playing online games, i think my game of the decade must be Dota 2. Ive invested so much time and so much money for that and have had so much fun as well. The community is toxic though (at least when I’ve left last year, I’m sure it still is). The game itself feels stressful for me, playing as a support/offlane but i get so much adrenalin rush as well.

2 Likes

Mine would be Skyrim for one reason, MODDING :slight_smile:

This is why I retired OLDRIM after playing 3333 hours just by rolling a new toon when I changed mods.

1 Like

Civ 5.

No question based on the number of hours I’ve played.

4 Likes

Elite Dangerous for me

2 Likes

I bought a boxed pc copy of dark souls 2, only to be burned by scholar of the first sin’s release. I feel like i deserved a free copy of their redo of dark souls 2. Giving me a discount for SotFS still feels like a hard slap on my face.

1 Like

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

That game left an imprint on me that has inspired my writing, my career, and my life. I was already a fan of the series but that one really sealed the fandom for me. It mixed up almost everything I love in a game and in an environment. The story was great, I’m a sucker for revenge stories. The game play was top notch, you could stun, kill, or stealth your way through the game. The world building was insane. You didn’t have exposition and long lectures, you were immersed in a world that you could breathe and feel.

6 Likes

Either DOOM 2016, or Stardew Valley.

For reminding us that story matters more than monetization and bullshit marketing, as well as game mechanics, setting, and overall FUN FACTOR.

Worst of the decade? ANY battle royale game, for being absolutely shallow bullshit that has ruined the industry in more ways than I can count.

4 Likes

Ive had this on my backlog for so long. Youve made want to play this as my next AAA game (im currently on an indie run this year (apart from sekiro)

3 Likes

Breh, just wait until Mankind Divided. They take the world building and immersion to a whole new level.

1 Like

I hear mankind devided was ruined by in-game purchases and microtransaction stuff

1 Like

I didn’t experience that, and I’ve gone through it about four times, totaling about 300 hours.

@Kat Might be able to share their experience on PC. I played it on PS4.

I played Human Revolution on PC.

2 Likes

If there werent too much hackers on PUBG, id say that would have been my runner up to my Dota 2. There is an allure to battle royale games and for a good reason, the fantasy of the last man/team alive would be awarded to the best/smartest person/group would be a fun measure of epeen.

1 Like

Nobody said Minecraft yet?

4 Likes

May 17, 2009

Lost by a few months.

Sorry ol’ bean

1 Like

Thought it was released in 2011? I knew it was close

1 Like

Probably the game I’ve had the most consistent fun in: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild. Probably don’t need to go into why it’s good, that’s been done by many other people far more competent than I.

Destiny 2 would be the second, it’s the main game I play. I love the lore*, I love the art design and direction, just… that game has some core gameplay issues. Mostly revolving around PvP. It can be grindy at times, but the bad grind is when you have to go into PvP, aka PvP is the source of issues with grind as well.

As for future games, hoping Cyberpunk 2077 will get the next decade off to a good start. If it’s even 70% of what the trailers and demos claim it is then it should be pretty damn good. And on that note I’m reminded yet again that I need to finish The Witcher 3, lol. :smile:

*largely in part to it just being damn well written for the most part, and equally due to My Name is Byf on youtube. That man has the smoothest and most soothing voice and delivery and is one of the top loremasters, if you are at all interested in Destiny’s lore (even if you don’t like the games, the art and what story there is - most of it is tidbits that loremasters gather together and deliver as single package - are pretty interesting) then you should check him out.

2 Likes
  1. Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
  2. Black Mesa
  3. Space Engineers
  4. Portal 2
  5. GTAV
  6. Doom 2016

and of course minecraft… lol

5 Likes