Return to Level1Techs.com

What is your job?

Junior developer, backend stuff.

First real job and it’s pretty 10/10, after I’m starting to learn all the stuff. I didn’t even know the programming language before hand and they tought me almost everyhing on the job. I do have programming/computer science backround from school though.

Currently an Accounting Assistant, In college for Software Engineering though.

IMO I don’t have the skills yet to do pentesting, I could be wrong but how would you even know? (without getting a tests/cert)

Starting a blog seems like a good idea - why not :b
And I’ll look into local events! Thanks :slight_smile:

Lurker here (I don’t think I posted my job), but its really relative what “level” of skills are sufficient. There is a wide range of jobs, their roles, and opinions of proficiency. I’ve met people that are “pentesters” but all they know how to do is click “scan” on Nessus- but hey, they are in the biz, getting paid and building on that resume- I’m not hating, just saying. Then there are strait up “Gods” in the industry- don’t measure to that, just do you and keep chipping away.

Throw yourself out there, you’ll either find your qualified, or not and learn what to work on, or find a job that meets where you stand- some places are looking for eager, teachable and full of potential persons that are willing to take low pay because their resume and skill set cannot demand more, but the company knows they can OJT that person into a useful employee- and after that happens your world really really starts to open up.

Also, IMO get certs. Lots of people scoff at brand X or Y cert but in many cases they get you the interview- they don’t say you get the job, but they get you the interview. Sell yourself in the interview, get the job, get the job and make a good name in the industry (small world) (basically, don’t be a d*ck), network. Years later make six digits, join the realm of 1st world problems.

Download VMs from vulhub and capture flags. There is also a fun web game out there, I’ll dig it up later which is basically CTF and exploit on various servers.

Learn to use Kali and Backbox. Then, build your own Ubuntu or Debian VM and customize the tools on there. After you’ve done all that, start building your own tools and contributing to popular tools. Python and Go are great languages for Offensive Sec. Some would argue C#, there is even a book on it by the guy that wrote “Wicked Cool Shell Scripts”.

Learn Splunk, Bash, Python, and PowerShell if you don’t already know it.

The last three places I’ve worked out we recruited legit Red Teamers (not just pentesters) from their blogs, youtube channels, and GitHub. A blog is a great start, so are videos and of course GitHub. Writing a book helps, too.

The market is swimming with a lack of talent, compliance/legal InfoSec bubbas, and point and click/metasploit users like @Token said. Learn to write your own tools, prove exploits via vulnhub or through mockups on AWS or Azure and you will never be out of a job or underpaid.

EDIT

http://pwnable.kr/play.php

1. SIEM Engineer or Security Architect, depending on the day.

2. Architect with full autonomy.

Big thanks! I will get into that asap :smiley:

1. business engineer, but starting as a system install coordinator at the same company soon

2. the next job i’m applying for (hi recruiters/hr dept:wave:)

1. Enterprise Software Support Engineer (open source company mostly written in python)

2. Probably security consultant / red team type of stuff

1. Full time student
    But when I’m not in school, I’ve been working as a developer for a small business. More specifically, backend, mobile, and some sql stuff… also handle certain elevated tech calls (we sell SaaS, so tech comes with it).

2. Anything InfoSec, preferably in the realm of malware analysis/reversing.

Retired Industrial electrician and computer repair tech for nearly 40 years.
linux user for the past 18 years. Welding instructor, Electrical Safety Instructor, and volunteer fireman/ fire police.
and spoiling my grand-kids and cats equally

depending on your choice of linux there are a lot of things you can do.
I do a lot of forensic work and recovery so I have distros centred around those tasks, But I also install various distros for clients ranging from slax , buntu, knoppix, mint, debian, and gentoo.
depending on the clients tastes it can be a trip setting up.
I would say a general favourite is peppermint as its easy for new users to work with.

1. [Industrial] Software Developer - you don’t know KISS until you design a UI for warehouse / assembly employees! :poop:
  2. Software Developer - Robotic industrial automation and data collection

I got what I’m pretty sure is my Dream Job™ and was cleared by the background check team today. Going to attempt to start on the 17th.

Consumer product prototyping, super high end machining and facility. Really excited.

ever play with arduino , Its a lot of fun prototyping robotics with them

No, I do machined parts. Never really got into bespoke electronics for some reason although I think it’s cool when people do interesting things with them. A friend made an RFID garage lock at one point that was pretty useful.

1. Design Engineer for exterior of utility vehicles
  2. Something computer related, but still trying to find the right field :slight_smile:

Computer technician that works on (primarily) Lenovo and Apple computers for the big players in Silicon Valley.
Working on my CCNP, and trying to get a job as a Linux Admin.

1: tow truck driver
2: not sure. i like to do a lot of things. i like driving tow trucks, but the pay could be better…

Thank you, I appreciate it.