What is the default image viewer in Fedora 30/31?

I installed Gimp and realized now it became set as the default image viewer. It’s not exactly the right tool to browse through photo albums so I wanted to switch back to the original.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what was the original viewer and there is nothing in my pretty bare Fedora installation that looks/sounds like an image viewer.

rpm -qa the package names of a few of the top/popular (according to search engine) viewers indicates I don’t have any installed so does anybody know what on earth in Fedora was showing images before Gimp was installed? :smiley:

1 Like

If you still have the bootable iso, you can just boot into that and check it that way

Eye of Gnome. I guess.

Will spin my laptop later and come back to you.

I don’t know about Fedora, but while checking out apps, give Gthumb a go.
It does individual pics, whole folders, and even plays videos, ( which I guess needs mplayer installed in the background? Still cool though)

It’s called “Eye of Gnome”, aka eog on the command line.

Also depends on the Fedora Spin you’re running, on Fedora KDE it’s Gwenview.

1 Like

@kacyl1 f you are on Fedora Workstation it’s eog or eye of gnome. Also, to browse pics like Adobe Bridge style you can use the soon to be deprecated shotwell or the new photos All available via flatpaks on flathub as well.

Thanks guys for the responses, I got back to looking into this issue today and confirmed again it isn’t eye of gnome. I don’t have the package installed. Using Fedora Workstation XFCE <-- not sure if this is the key difference. Googling didn’t turn up any concrete info on what does XFCE use for image viewer.

Some of the “default” viewers thrown up are
nomacs ( not installed )
mirage / ristretto ( 2008 Fedora XFCE spin talk, neither are installed)
viewnior (Manjaro Cinnamon, not installed )

From this Reddit thread about a year old, it would seem like Ristretto should be the default image viewer for most distro. https://www.reddit.com/r/xfce/comments/axzzif/is_there_any_xfce_component_you_usually_replace/

So I’ve gone with that installing ristretto.

Wouldn’t it be easiest to just spin up a Fedora XFCE VM and check there?

I was stunned speechless for a few seconds after reading your reply at how that escaped me, especially given that this machine was setup to run several VMs already. /slaps self

1 Like